sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know of a suitable sound proofing/acoustic reducing cladding or system on the market(plasterboard system aside).
i am working on a old property ste about 30 feet back from a main trunk road,and although the double glazing is effective to a degree th e customer has asked me to explore other options...there is no real cavity between the brickwork due to the age of the property(1890's)-any thoughts would be helpfull.
thanks

Sponsored Links
30 feet from a main road? Best bet would be to move. Not helpful but true.

The plasterboard 'inner wall' is the only real hope, coupled with replacing the DG units with new ones containing much thicker glass. Double glazing is better than triple glazing, assuming that the sum thickness of all the panes is the same for comparitive purposes.

Or better still, 2 seperate single glazed units, One built into the outer wall and one built into the 'inner' wall.

Ceilings on upper floors might need extra plasterboarding too, birds in my garden sound really loud of a morning in my bedroom despite being a 9" wall with DG. The noise must be coming through the roof tiles and then through the single pb ceiling.

There's also the option of 12ft high acoustic fencing placed as close to the road as possible.

Hope you weren't expecting a cheap/quick/easy fix. :(

30 feet from a main road? Best bet would be to move. Not helpful but true.
Aye, agree 100%. Have to live with it unless there's a very deep pot of money. Improve the glazing as mentioned, anything else will require huge investment for very little return.

Secondary glazing will improve the windows areas, stud walling with a rockwool infill will improve wall areas, but the sound transfer through wall into joists and then ceiling similar to the noise thro roof. Lots of insulation needed.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Do a web search for 'phonewell decoupled soundproofing' hopefully you will come to a site which has various recommendations. There are companies that offer similar solutions but this site takes out all the searching!!

With respect to the windows for sound insulation you need a gap of at least 150mm, so secondary glazing comes into its own and you could plan it in with the decoupled wall insulation.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back