Sounder not sounding

Ok but just before I do, the alarm system is wired on my downstairs lighting circuit. Do I need to turn that circuit off before I disconnect any wires inside the PSU?

Sponsored Links
Ok just noticed that on the bell 6 core the green and white are not connected to anything ( would normally be used for the strobe connection ) so….I guess the strobe is linked in the bellbox ( nothing in the strobe terminals ) ….so more than likely it’s a faulty bellbox …

No it’s all low voltage on the pcb ….12v
Just keep your fingers away from the mains grey terminal block to the right with the mains blue and brown wire going into it ….as this is 240 ac

Yes, that is correct. The green and white cables are not connected to anything.

I'll disconnect the blue cable now and put it into where the black cable is connected into the OV terminal, as you highlighted with the red arrows

Sponsored Links
Did that. The external sounder did not sound.

Ok put it back in …..now remove the red wire at the side of the blue wire ….does it ring ? If not put it back in …it would look like issues in the bell box

I connected the blue wire back in and then disconnected the red one. The external sounder did not sound. I am assuming I didn't need to try the red wire in one of the other terminals did I?

I've reconnected it so everything is back to the way it was. I'll brave the elements and get the long ladders out tomorrow. I'll take the front off the sounder, take a photo and will report back then. Thanks very much for your help so far today. It's much appreciated.

If it's just a corroded wire or a loose wire that's come out, am I ok to just strip it back and reconnect it without turning off the lighting circuit in the house that the alarm is powered by? And if I do connect the wire back in, will the alarm sound immediately? If it will, I just want to brace myself while I am up the ladder!

Take plenty of photos of the inside of the bell box , look for traces of water damaged ( green gunk )

Will do.

If it is just a corroded wire or a loose wire that's come out and it's clear enough which terminal it should be reconnected back into, am I ok to just strip it back and reconnect it without turning off the lighting circuit in the house that the alarm is powered by? And if I do connect the wire back in, will the alarm sound immediately? If it will, I just want to brace myself while I am up the ladder!

But if on the other hand, your recommendation is that I should just take photo's and report back and that I should do nothing further until you've seen the photo's, then that is what I will do?

If it’s not ringing when you remove the red wire , then i don’t think it will ring when you remove the lid …

Ok. I'll take some photos inside the sounder tomorrow and I'll report back then. Thanks again.

Please see the photos below of the inside of my sounder.

After removing the front cover, it didn't sound but it all looked pretty clean inside with no evidence of any water ingress that I could see. All of the cables are intact and there didn't appear to be any signs of corrosion on any of the cables either.

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

I've left the front cover off for now, just in case any additional photos might be needed.

Last edited:
Did you pop out the pcb and check on the back for water damage ? Might be wise to replace the bellbox

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back