Soundproofing - engineered wood floor on 1st floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read through several threads in the forum and was going to reply to this thread (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1541317) but thought it would be better to start a new one as my query is slightly different.

I'm contemplating laying engineered wood flooring in my 1st floor maisonette living room. The subfloor is just floorboards (quite even), and just the joists below that. The joist space depth is around 16cm, the floorboards themselves are 2.5cm. The room itself is approximately 20 square meters.

My builders have quoted £2000 to install a gypsum silent floor solution between the joists, and then a new chipboard to replace the original floorboards. This seems quite steep to me - and so I was looking on this forum to see what other people have done.

It seems one option is to just stuff Rockwool sound insulation inbetween the joists, seal the existing floorboards between the gaps, and then use an underlay like Timbermate Duratex before laying the engineered wood flooring.

I was wondering if anyone has done it before on a 1st floor room, and whether or not they happy with the sound insulation? Myself and my partner don't have kids or pets, and we walk around barefoot in the house (and out of the house most of the time anyways), so we reckon we don't make that much noise to begin with anyways.

Basically, our other option is just standard underlay and carpet. But we really like a wood floor.

Sponsored Links
Anyone have any recommendations for a very good underlay (without a damp proof membrane) to go inbetween the existing floorboards and the new engineered wood flooring?

Looking for one that has the best soundproofing feature, without breaking the bank ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back