Does Part E2 Building Regs apply to existing dwelling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been meaning to put in engineered wood flooring onto my first floor self contained maisonette, and just got some pushback from the freeholder after enquiring about it.

The context: There's a flat below me, and my current floor surface is just joists with wooden floorboards. I'm thinking of laying Duratex Timbermate underlay and then engineered wood flooring on top.

The freeholder has come back and said that I need to satisfy Building Regs E2, which states:
"Dwelling houses, flats, and rooms for residential purposes shall be designed and constructed in such a way that:
(a) internal walls between a bedroom or a room containing a water closet, and other rooms; and
(b) internal floors
provide reasonable resistance to sound.
And they provide guidance values, of around 60dB.
(document: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADE_2003.pdf)

Does Building Regs Part E2 apply to an existing floor as in my situation? Or is it only for new builds and new conversions? I couldn't quite make out the exact meaning from the full document.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back