Sourcing your own carpets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a quote from Capetright for an Invicrus carpet and it seemed OK with 0% finance.

Then I googled the individual items on the quote and found I could get the exact same for £700 less all from the same place, online carpets.

The only risk I can see is if I measured wrong but saving £700 I could just add 100mm on to make sure.

I haven't had my own quote for fitting yet by they quoted £237 which seemed good for 3 rooms and 2 stairs.

Has anyone bought carpets this way? Would you do it again?

Sponsored Links
No, I wouldn't even try. If I can find a local fitter to do it for £237 or less then I'm happy.

There's the catch. The local fitter wont fit someone elses carpet for a song - I expect they'll quote you more than their normal fee, for your cheek! The big national chains charge reasonable prices for the main carpet but OTT for the underlay and sundries.. better off going to the little guy in the first place! Tell them the carpet you want them to get in stock and do a deal.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry this might not be much help, but avoid Carpetright! Not sure where they source their fitters from but in my experience it has been terrible. Seen it in my own home and heard bad stories from people at work too.

As Nozzle said a lot of independents won't be interested in fitting another firm's carpet, but some will especially if it's a larger job as opposed to just one room for example.

Their underlay and grippers were rediculous.

They claim to give a free basic underlay of £2.99/mtr but by the time I upgraded that the price for that was £420.29 and the gripperrods £151.20. Total £571.49

Online carpets price for the same spec was underlay and grippers was £196.80 so there's a £374.69 difference just on those.

If they would knock the £2.99 cost of the 'free' underlay off the carpet, and I got my own underlay and grippers the price would be almost identical. But I can't imagine that happening.

I think a large part of their profit comes from the extortionate price of the underlay (and the grippers)!

I'd try and source a local fitter and then get the carpet/underlay from the supplier you've found. There will be someone reputable and local willing to fit - I often see Facebook posts on local community groups with people asking to have a carpet fitted and there's usually a few decent recommendations.

I had carpet right/world/city round a few years ago for the full house - their deal then was buy the carpet and underlay and they'll fit for free. They measured up each room and gave me the price: carpet£ + underlay£ x SQM. After they'd gone I measured myself and spent half an hour playing around with offcuts from here going there, stair's and landings coming off room widths etc (which is probably what a good fitter would have done) and managed to reduce the sqm by nearly a third. I bought it myself, underlay was on offer at B and Q and a local fitter fitted it for a good price. The savings paid for our holiday that year!

Measure twice and save your £700. Plus, I thought I read carpet right were in the sh1t. You don’t want to stump up your cash then get no carpet when they go bust.

In addition, I’m insanely jealous. I assume by you ordering carpet your build is as good as done?

There's the catch. The local fitter wont fit someone elses carpet for a song - I expect they'll quote you more than their normal fee, for your cheek! The big national chains charge reasonable prices for the main carpet but OTT for the underlay and sundries.. better off going to the little guy in the first place! Tell them the carpet you want them to get in stock and do a deal.

Nozzle
I bought a new carpet for the first time last year and found about half the companies i contacted would fit carpets they didn't supply, and for reasonable prices.

They couldn't fit me in soon enough so I ended up with someone I found on Facebook who did a regular sized room for £40.

I fitted the carpet underlay and grippers myself and just had the carpet fitted.

I got all the stuff from online carpets as it was cheap, the carpet is fantastic and the underlay and grippers were a great price but the service was pretty poor. They are *very* hot on their reviews online in attempt to hide complaints, it's just a shame they don't try so hard when actually processing orders... https://uk.trustpilot.com/users/59e914580000ff000ad734b3

It's no where near done but we need to move in.
Hi Ian

It would be per room on fit only.
Do you have the sizes of the carpet and I'll work it out.
We do charge a bit more for fitting you're own but if you let me know what you're looking at online and get a delivered price we will see if we can match it .
Regards
Mark

Sounds fair enough.

Most carpet fitters (but not all) are independent of the shop, so if you see a fitters van, stop and chat to them. Carpet fittings not difficult if you've got a straight eye, and a steady hand, and you can get a stretcher from screwfix, but get the best underlay you can afford, and that'll improve a cheap carpet no end.

I am without fail, amazed, when I see a carpet being fitted - how someone gets a thing BIGGER than a room, INTO a room, then flattens and cuts it square to the edges all while being IN the room standing ON the thing they're trying to square up. Even more so if there's a pattern on it that must be square to the walls. There's a knack to it, fo' shizzle.

Nozzle

Yup, there is. But a lot of it is just down to confidence and care.

I’ve boight all sorts of surprising things online, but not carpets. I’m lucky to have a large, good, cheap, local, independent carpet shop - and they organise cheap fitters who are actually self-employed.

What does Greater Manchester have to offer? Maybe http://urmstoncarpets.co.uk/

P.S. Ask ther person who’s going to fit them to measure the rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back