Space filler under windows blowing a gale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if here or the window subforum is better, but here goes.

I've got a mostly cavity wall house where the area under the 2 windows to the front appear to have been laid to a single brick course, which has been pvc covered to the exterior, and left alone or plywooded on the interior.

In both rooms where this has been done, it's freezing, and i can hear birds and road noise quite clearly. My assumption is that whatever it's made off has cracked/leaked and letting loads of fresh air through. I started this with the knowledge that i was going to need to re-silicone it, but it looks a mess from outside.

I'm thinking that this could do with a strip down and replace, possibly building it up to double skin with cavity wall.

Is there anything i should be looking at/aware of when doing this? Any council i need to inform as it's affecting the insulation of the property?

Just looking at the moment, with a builder popping around this evening.

Picture of the area
View media item 77903

Sponsored Links
This looks similar to a family members house that was timber frame, and that panel below the window was asbestos, so be careful before doing anything other than adding sealant!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back