Space required for door in a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

About to knock down an old ash block partition wall and replace it with a new stud wall. I was hoping someone could advise on how best to factor in the door. I realise this will largely depend on the size of the door.

If I am using 4*2 timer for the framework and covering this in 12.5mm plaster board, do I need to use wider timer around the door opening (essentialliy 4 inch plus 25mm for the 2 sides of plaster board, plus 4mm for 2 sides of skim) whilst building the stud wall frame.

Or is it better to build the entire wall out of the 4*2, attach the plaster board and then get wider planks (approx 126mm wide) to frame the door with so that these are flush with the total width of the wall?

Also, what sort of gap should I leave over and above the dimensions of the door for packing? or could the door be hung directly onto the planks I mentioned above.

Just looking for best practice, you guys have been amazing at guiding me through my DIY renovation thus far. Not that the house looks better for it yet. It's an empty shell with no plaster on the walls :confused:

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Build the stud wall leaving a 32" gap (based on a 30" wide door) between the two upright studs.

Plasterboard one side of the stud wall.

Buy a 5 ¼" door casing, assemble it and fit it in the gap between the studs. You will need some packers to true up the sides as 32" allows about 7mm. Make sure you true up the door head before fixing the sides.

Fit a header timber above the casing.

Fit any electrics into the stud wall then plasterboard the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back