Spalled bricks

I

ImayKnow

I have several spalled bricks below the dpc of the back of my house. They are basically the first two rows above ground level with the dpc resting on top of them.

I am going to remove them in stages and replace with engineering bricks whilst putting a new dpc membrane in place.

The old dpc seems to be like a solidified bitumen. My question is when I meet the boundary of the ajoining semi next door, how do I maintain the water proof barrier where I meet with my membrane and the old dpc on the neighbours property?

Sponsored Links
If you cant leave the existing DPC intact, then you need to remove a brick and cut the joint of the one next to it above the DPC to lap the new DPC

Sponsored Links
If you cant leave the existing DPC intact, then you need to remove a brick and cut the joint of the one next to it above the DPC to lap the new DPC

Cheers Woody. I need to remove the brick that goes upto the boundary (the one to the left of the one you marked 'remove', as that one is spalled. Just a thought, instead of then cutting into the neighbours mortar, could I wrap the new dpc membrane around the edge of my new brick so that it runs vertically downwards where it meets the boundary (and possibly put some silicone sealant between the edge of the old dpc and my new one at the point where they 'meet')?

No, you then have a break in the DPC, silicone wont work

If you cut the brick below out and the joint around the brick above carefully and dropped the brick down before sliding it out, then the existing DPC should stay put

No, you then have a break in the DPC, silicone wont work

If you cut the brick below out and the joint around the brick above carefully and dropped the brick down before sliding it out, then the existing DPC should stay put

Thanks again Woody. I will be removing the brick below, as I am doing both courses. The trouble is the existing dpc seems to be stuck onto the bricks, its like a hard bitumen, so as i lower the bricks the dpc comes with it

Separate it with a hacksaw blade

I could give it a go but it really is solidly stuck onto the brick (the ones that are being replaced). I am not confident it will work as the old dpc is only about 2mm thick as well. :(

I have been thinking about this.

As I need to remove the last brick on my side of the party line due to it being spalled, could I not remove it and hack saw at the mortar on the first brick on my neighbours side and try not to damage the dpc which will have bonded on to that brick, overlap my new membrane and repoint in position?

Yes, thats the gist of it

Cheers woody. I didn't think you would agree with that, as your first post said to lap it on my side of the boundary (I was thinking it was a legal requirement that i had to comply with)

I have just hit an unforeseen problem.

My neighbour doesn't wish for me to overlap the dpc on his property. The problem is I have removed the last brick on my side of the boundary and told neighbour what I intended doing.

As they are not in favour of over lapping and I do not wish to go against their wishes, what else can I now do?

Thanks for ny help.

I would cut a vertical joint 300mm on the boundary line, and bend the DPC up it, and then tell the neighbour that you won't be responsible for any damp issues on his side due to his stupidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back