Spam solution - 2 step posting privs for new users.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Admin,

It looks like you are being attacked by some spam bots using a python script or similar...

I'm sure you are getting frustrated with the daily spam from people trying to promote telephone numbers etc. A solution is as follows:

- New users not able to post in general until [time limit] and
- General removed from searchable index.

The other solution is a two step registration.
- as above, but new users must post request for approval in non-searchable sub forum to access to general.

Sponsored Links
Can Admin run a filter to block/eliminate all posts which include a telephone number?

Clearly, the forum goes through long periods where a moderator is not online.

For a DIY forum full of nerds and engineers, this is astounding.

Sponsored Links
Does diynot make money?, I am never bothered by adverts, maybe pay some of the regular posters to moderate.

Blup

Does diynot make money?, I am never bothered by adverts, maybe pay some of the regular posters to moderate.

Blup
Doesn't need much moderation.
Just give a few of the old fart avoiding the missus who have time to burn access to the mod tools, or at least, give them the ability to lock posters should they begin **** posting.
Hardly earth shatering rocket science.

Blup
No chance, most of the regular GD forumites are racist, sexist, ill-informed, prejudiced, bigoted, hostile, belligerent, confrontational, callous, inconsiderate, hostile, boastful, patronising, inconsiderate, deceitful, dishonest and dogmatic and frankly, a bit nasty (and some of them are mods already).

I, on the other hand am perfect. They should sack the rest and make me a paid mod.

Last edited:
Just moderate the first couple of posts before publishing them. Any spam/adverts/feck all to do with DIY posts, block them. Surely that can’t be too hard?
Absent landlords.
How apt.

No chance, most of the regular GD forumites are racist, sexist, ill-informed, prejudiced, bigoted, hostile, belligerent, confrontational, callous, inconsiderate, hostile, boastful, patronising, inconsiderate, deceitful, dishonest and dogmatic and frankly, a bit nasty (and some of them are mods already).

I, on the other hand am perfect. They should sack the rest and make me a paid mod.
Ok that’s the plus side of the cv

Blup

All that post prefiltering punishes the genuine users and is tedious for the moderators to plough through (I mod a fairly peaceful Freecycle group and that can absorb half an hour on a bad day).
We can all help matters by reporting dubious posts when we see them- cuts down the mod workload.

Accounts which have been made less than 7 days, should have their posts checked first.
Checked by whom?

It's all very well suggesting we hang a bell on the cat..

StackOverflow/StackExchange cope with this by bestowing consensus based moderative privileges on well reputed, contributory, experienced users. I see no reason why the same couldn't work on any forum

Sponsored Links
Back