Spanish honour...

If you started a pension today, would you expect to reap benefits tomorrow?
If you invested some money today, would you be expecting to see a profit tomorrow?
If you planted some seeds today, would you expect to see plants growing tomorrow?
If Jacob Rees-Smug, the former Minister for Brexit Benefits, had publicly promised me those things, then yes, I'd expect all those things to come true - in somewhat less than 40 years. In point of fact he promised us full shelves in supermarkets, that food prices would go down, that we'd still have open access to European countries (other than Ireland), that we'd have frictionless cross-border trade, and so on and so forth. Do you see a pattern emerging?

Businesses don't work on 40 year investment plans. Tory politicians can't even work on 40 week plans, so what chance do you think they would ever have
in pulling off a working Brexit?

Who are the fools here?
That's easy - those living in s fool's paradise who believed that Brexit could ever work, when pretty much every economist in the western world said it was a nonesense and would damage the economy of the UK. Incidentally, the Bank or England said the same. But WTF do they know about economics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The Spanish would be a lot more honourable if they stopped throwing Donkeys out of bell towers.

And the resident nutters are concerned UK animal welfare standards might fall below those of the EU.

**** me, you couldn't make it up could you?

Last edited:
If Jacob Rees-Smug, the former Minister for Brexit Benefits, had publicly promised me those things, then yes, I'd expect all those things to come true - in somewhat less than 40 years. In point of fact he promised us full shelves in supermarkets, that food prices would go down, that we'd still have open access to European countries (other than Ireland), that we'd have frictionless cross-border trade, and so on and so forth. Do you see a pattern emerging?

Businesses don't work on 40 year investment plans. Tory politicians can't even work on 40 week plans, so what chance do you think they would ever have

Did Jacob Rees Mogg publicly promise Covid, the war in Ukraine and prolonged periods of drought?

Did Jacob Rees Mogg publicly promise Covid, the war in Ukraine and prolonged periods of drought?
Whilst those are convenient excuses for Brexiteer, they don't hold water as the causes of the economic malaise the UK has inflicted upon itself when you compare the UK directly with an equivalent sized economy, such as France. They have also had COVID, the effects of Ukraine and prolonged periods of drought. So pull the other one - it has bells on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Whilst those are convenient excuses for Brexiteer, they don't hold water as the causes of the economic malaise the UK has inflicted upon itself when you compare the UK directly with an equivalent sized economy, such as France. They have also had COVID, hhe effects of Ukrsine and prolonged perods of drought. So pull the other one - it has bells on it

France wont do any better than the UK, forecasts are pointless, they tend to be wrong. Strikes in France because they will be forced to retire at the same age as us will nobble their growth predictions. The only accurate figures are the ones that come out a month after the previous quarter.

UK should have plunged into recession in the last quarter of 2022, it didn't, the forecast was wrong as usual.

That's easy - those living in s fool's paradise who believed that Brexit could ever work, when pretty much every economist in the western world said it was a nonesense and would damsge the economy of the UK. Incidentally, the Bank or England said the same. But WTF do they know about economics?

TBF the BOE has been getting more things wrong than right in recent years.

As for economists, Mark Blyth is one of the most respected in the world.

One voice, but a lone one

If Brexit is doing so well why has inward investment collapsed? Why are exporting businesses leaving the UK? Or are you saying tbe FT article got it all wrong and that the unicorns are just around the corner?

At least the Spanish top people in charge of their train f*ck up had the honour to resign...

"Two top Spanish transport officials have resigned over a botched order for new commuter trains that cost nearly €260m ($275m; £230m).The trains could not fit into non-standard tunnels in the northern regions of Asturias and Cantabria.
The head of Spain's rail operator Renfe, Isaías Táboas, and the Secretary of State for Transport, Isabel Pardo de Vera, have now left their roles. The design fault was made public earlier this month.
The Spanish government says the mistake was spotted early enough to avoid financial loss."

I wonder if any of those involved in the £100bn f*ck up that is HS2 will resign?

More likely they'll get a fast ride to the house of lords! (n)
Completely different scenarios one is new rolling stock[coaches locos and wagons] for a railway in use so not really a political point as such as you need to provide new to keep the present compatable by updating as time goes on
where as hs2 is not an error or mistake, its a political choice so those that voted and expressed an opinion in favour have the greatest weight on there shoulders as it happens the west coast has been up to capacity for over 30 years so we need to catch up otherwise "Great britain" will become a progressively less viable modern economy and more approaching a third world economy

indeed when i was a train driver or second man in the 70/80s and early 90 capacity on the west cost main line was an issue causing bottle necks and reduced capacity causing problems more so in the 80s and 90s as the declines off the 70s and early 80s had turned around emphasizing the desperate lack off capacity in certain areas{bottle necks]

Last edited:
I'm still confused by the word honour in connection with Spanish: worse scoundrels than the French, to be sure.

Politicians only work on the remaining length of a term of office - then in the last year they try to buy votes.
Most (all?) (listed) companies only work on a 1 year plan and change their minds half way through.

To have a working Brexit then the plans should have been in place a lot longer with clear knowledge that it was going to be a difficult expensive time; instead there was cobbled together remain benefits wording, a leave benefits lie from most of the press following the mess caused by Blair's want to the president of Europe. I worked in a number of EU counties from 2000 to 2014 so could see both the problems and the benefits of the EU which is why I voted remain 'cause the benefits far outweighed the problems. When the UK joined the EEC we kicked the Commonwealth into touch so do they wish to restart those trading arrangements - doesn't seem to. Of course the EU won't wish to make it easy for the UK and from what I see the UK government is or was intent on making it worse - do think the present PM is trying to make things better and I doubt if his opposite number will do any better.

The worst bit about this country is we do appear to have bred a 'benefits culture' into UK society whether that is good or bad.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back