Spanish overload?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently in Spain in the MIL’s villa. This is my setup - only got one Spain to UK adaptor so one socket running the telly, satellite, iPad, iPhone and MiFi chargers. Not even getting warm. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Currently in Spain in the MIL’s villa. This is my setup - only got one Spain to UK adaptor so one socket running the telly, satellite, iPad, iPhone and MiFi chargers. Not even getting warm. :mrgreen:

Not exactly something to be proud of is it? Most adapters don't conform to either countries specs and often have defective earthing. Ipad chargers usually come with clip on parts for other countries use. Use it.

I highly doubt it's overloaded, 16A is enough to run a heck of a lot of small appliances.

The bigger concern with stacking plug-top stuff like this is the potential for mechanical damage to plugs and sockets due to weight/leverage (i'm actually plesantly surprised at how straight the stack looks, I guess the guide notches on the side of the schuko must be doing their job).

Surely the outermost USB adapter is a 2 pin plug, into a 3 pin adapter!
With 3 such USB to 2 pin plug adapters, you could lose most of that concoction.
And a decent supermarket will sell UK to 2 pin adapters for a couple of euros.

Sponsored Links
The outermost usb adaptor (both outermost units are one unit although they look separate) is a standard UK three pin iPad charger. Anyway, it’s worked fine all week and I’m going home today so winston1 can sleep safely tonight.

Last edited:
The outermost usb adaptor (both outermost units are one unit although they look separate) is a standard UK three pin iPad charger.

No they are separate. They will slide apart and a Euro or US part can be fitted. The Euro part is often supplied with the charger.

That’s why I said BOTH outermost units. Haven’t had anything other than a UK adaptor with the last half a dozen iPads we’ve bought - mini's, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro so they must do special editions with UK/Euro/US adaptors just for you.

That’s why I said BOTH outermost units. Haven’t had anything other than a UK adaptor with the last half a dozen iPads we’ve bought - mini's, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro so they must do special editions with UK/Euro/US adaptors just for you.
It does come apart, and although it is a 2 pin into a UK adaptor, it is not suitable for plugging into a euro socket.
It is a Chinese replacement product, not an OEM iPad/iPhone product, even though it is advertised as one.
I cannot see how it can be used with anything other than the supplied adaptor.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-OE...m=152989371829&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You’re half right. It is made in China but it’s a 100% guaranteed OEM Apple iPad charger.

8F1217B7-A334-406B-BC24-979725311580.jpeg

E022A627-6B65-4003-868F-54EE241A9E87.jpeg
A34F6C0E-44AF-44B4-B4A1-25C2E3E6DE20.jpeg

If you have a large number of very low-power items with UK plugs, buy a 4 or 6-way trailing socket, and when you get to Spain, buy a Schuko plug (with earth). These are readily available at Ferreterias (what we used to call Ironmongers) or the Chinese shops. Cut off the old UK plug from the trailing socket and wire up the Schuko. You can now safely plug in all you need without the risk of mechanical damage to the Spanish socket.

Not surprised your Christmas tree is working- the horror stories about multiple adaptors come from the days of only 1 socket in a room so the 2 bar electric fire, steam iron and telly (CRT) presented a substantial load (probably 14A or more). Your setup- maybe 1 amp for all the USB stuff and another 5 for whatever that 2 core is doing.
Top Tip #2= take a 4 or 6 gang 13A extension with you, use your adaptor plug to connect it to the local supply and job jobbed with no screwdriver required (this has worked in Canada, USA, France and Italy using kit with switch mode supplies).

Sponsored Links
Back