Wifi connection problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just set the MIL up with a new internet provider. Vodafone. Same router as I have. Trouble is, I can't connect her 1st gen iPad mini to it. I keep getting the message 'incorrect password'. It's definitely not. I can connect my iPhone to it, I can connect my wife iPhone to it. I took her iPad mini home and I can connect that to my Vodafone Wifi with the same router.

Going down this afternoon for another crack at it armed with several iPads and iPhones to try out. Only thing I can think of is to give her the wife's old iPad Air 2 and buy a new one for the wife but wifey is against that and says it MUST work and I'm a ****!

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you got any special characters in the WiFi password? Some devices don't like them. Stick with alphabetic and numeric characters for maximum compatibility.

No special characters just numbers and letters but thanks, now sorted. I connected to the router settings with my iPad and changed WPA2 to just WAP and that did it. She only looks at photos in emails and the weather so no high security needed.

WAP is not secure any more, its too easily cracked.

Sponsored Links
WAP is not secure any more, its too easily cracked.
True, but that's the only way I could get her First Gen iPad mini connected. Only that device is set up on the guest account and she has nothing else connected. She literally just checks the weather and looks at photos that my wife, my sister in law and brother in law send her by email. All modern stuff connects through the main account which is WAP2.

Apple stuff is a right PITA.

Try using password sharing if anyone else has a iphone in the house.

Apple stuff is a right PITA.

Try using password sharing if anyone else has a iphone in the house.
I've never had this problem with any Apple product before. When I went to Spain with 4 mates a few weeks ago, when I logged on to each hotels Wifi when checking in, I got a message up saying "Do you want to share this login and password with Trevor?". I clicked 'yes' and Trevor was logged on. It then asked if I wanted to share with Paul, then Steve so I logged them on as well. Apparently this was in one of the later updates - if you are logged on to a new network and you have other Apple owners near to you and they are in your contacts, you can log them on too. Also, if my phone is logged on to a network, it will automatically share that with my iPad and vice versa. Cool.

My two iPhone owning sons are always moaning about WiFi dropping out. Me, the missus and number 2 son have no issues. We are all Android users.

If phone reset and forgetting the current network don't work you can reset network settings.

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iOS device and go to “General” and then to “Reset”
  2. Tap on “Reset Network Settings” – it is critical you choose “Reset Network Settings” only as the other options may erase your entire device!
  3. Confirm that you want to Reset Network Settings
  4. When finished, re-join the wi-fi network with the correct password

Many WiFi routers are dual-band these days.
But both bands can have the same SSID.
5GHz is faster but has less range, so if your modern device connects on 5GHz and loses signal, there may be a pause, before it reconnects to the 2.4GHz band.
I find it easier to rename the SSID's - some older and IoT devices occasionaly have trouble connecting to a dual band router; renaming the band's avoids this and avoids dropouts due to band switching.

Sponsored Links
Back