terrible WIFI!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my wifi is terrible. it keeps loosing connection.
the actual connection seems to stay connected (the computer says its connected to the WIFI network) but i loose all connection, i can't use the internet, or access the LAN.

its getting really annoying! to the point where i can't watch youtube because of it.

the channel of the router (which is a NETGEAR DGN1000) was on 8, i put it onto that channel about a year ago because it was the least full one in my area. but i changed it back to auto once i started getting problems, this has not fixed my issue.

i've attached a screenshot of the wifi setup page, is everything okay? or can something be changed to fix my problem?

i know it is the router not my laptop because the other wifi users are having the same problem.

Thanks in advance...

KVNCm.png

Sponsored Links
what's the distance, and what's in the way?

Get a hard wired connection from the router to the computer (if possible) WiFi speeds just can't compare to a wired connection.

what's the distance, and what's in the way?

no more than 5 meters. the router is mounted at the top of the wall on the ground floor under the stairs (not in a cupboard) and i am in the closest room to it on the first floor. only lath walls and the floorboards/lath ceiling are in the way.

Sponsored Links
Get a hard wired connection from the router to the computer (if possible) WiFi speeds just can't compare to a wired connection.

i wish!
i AM running CAT5 to the places where i can. and my room will be done in between the old carpets coming out and the new ones in. but that's a bit of time away yet.

i have got one CAT5 cable that i've been dragging round the house when the WIFI is bad, but everyone else complains about the cable being ugly and stuff so its not something i can use very often :(

I had similar issues with a netgear and replaced it in the end,the new one was fine. I went for one of the flashy asus ones and put tomato USB on it.

I had similar issues with a netgear and replaced it in the end,the new one was fine. I went for one of the flashy asus ones and put tomato USB on it.

i'm wanting to do that eventually. but i can't afford a new router at the moment :(

Should get a wifi signal at that range. Couple of ideas:

Generally it's advised to only use channels 1,6 & 11 as they're non-overlapping. Channel 8 will get interference from both 6 and 11. It would be worth using something like netstumbler or a phone wifi analyser app to see which of those 3 is least used nearby, then try setting that manually.

The signal is at right angles to the antenna, so if you've pointed it at where you sit then you'll get worst signal, point it at 90˚

Also could try updating the firmware if you've not already.

Sponsored Links
Back