Spare tyre for Ford Fiesta 2011

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a Fiesta 11 reg, fitted with 195/55 R 15 tyres. I have a spare tyre in the boot rather than the sealant stuff, it is a 175/65 R 14. In the event of a flat tyre and having to change one of the tyres, would this be suitable to replace and get me home until I can get to the garage and get a new tyre? I understand that being smaller it enables it to fit in the well in the boot underneath the carpet. Just wanted to check that it is compatible with 3 of the other size tyres. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the diameter of the wheels aren't the same you can expect the ABS lamp to be on, and therefore the ABS to be ineffective. Have you tried the spare wheel alongside one of the originals?
John :)

Hmm put me really on the spot here.....I have run a vehicle with 15" rims on the back and 14" rims on the front with a higher aspect ratio tyre - with no problems. However, one wheel smaller than it should be could have severe consequences on the car handling - maybe insurance, I really don't know.
Is there a genuine space saver wheel available?

Sponsored Links
It was supplied by someone at Ford, they said it's normal for it to be a size smaller and with it being narrower fits in the boot. I assume because it is smaller it is a space saver?

A space saver wheel can be much thinner than standard, but the diameter needs to be the same as standard. Speed recommendations are best adhered to.
If it's a Ford recommendation I'd certainly use it as a get home move.

Being a smaller diameter wheel does it fit over the front brake calipers ?

I think strictly as a get home measure I'd give it a try but we mustn't say that it's acceptable.....who knows what an insurer would say if the car was involved in an accident?

Freddymercury'stwin is perfectly correct when he says that there is only a 12mm difference in diameter. This equates to a difference of 39mm in circumference. (The 175/65x14 wheel & tyre is smaller)
However, if the tyre was changed to 185/65x14 then the diameter difference would be only 0.6mm (larger) meaning the circumference would be a mere 2mm larger. Should the tyre be changed to 175/70x14, then the diameter would be 5mm larger and the circ. 16mm greater. It is therefore suggested that the ideal tyre is 185/65x14 for this temporary wheel.

Sponsored Links
Back