sparkies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was in london foriegn sparkies work for £50 a day, and they did a whole house in 2 days including 2nd fix!!, what the hell is going on!!!

Sponsored Links
Well, if they were legit EU citizens with the necessary qualifications and did the work to a satisfactory standard, there's is really nothing you can do about it. How exactly anyone manages to live in london on £50 a day is a bit beyond me though.

Sponsored Links
geezer said:
i was in london foriegn sparkies work for £50 a day, and they did a whole house in 2 days including 2nd fix!!, what the hell is going on!!!

There is another side to this coin. Employers pay less for their labour and the get job gets done quicker. This allows them to lower their prices, customer wins, employer wins. ;) Why do you think the majority of site labour in London foreign?

Perhaps its just me Andy, but exploitation does not sit well with me, A fair days pay for a fair days work. After all cheap imports is why we don't manufacture anymore. Lower prices have consequences.

I can see in a few years time, we'll all be on minimum wages :cry:

Qedelec said:
Perhaps its just me Andy, but exploitation does not sit well with me, A fair days pay for a fair days work. After all cheap imports is why we don't manufacture anymore. Lower prices have consequences.

I'm not sure who's getting exploited. Most earn far more here than they do back home and most of them are very happy. If you take UK labour in the south east, it's really expensive and when good tradesmen arrive LEGALLY in Dover they get snapped up.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with whats happening but things are changing and there's nothing any of use can about. We have only ever used foreign labours via an agency but they were very nice chaps and worked bloody hard. I Think the agency paid them around £5.50/hour and they were over the moon.

I can remember in the 70's & 80's when the influx of cheap labour in London came from Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow and Scotland. There were caravan parks on the outskirts of London where they all lived during the week. They did the same, worked for a lot less than London based trades.

Now we're in the EU the only thing that has changed is the catchment area has grown somewhat. The Germans have had the same problem for years and I'm sure there are people on here that headed off that way in the 70's

Using unskilled labour to do skilled jobs is a something completely different and IMHO any company that does that should have the full weight of the law brought down on them.

masona said:
I can see in a few years time, we'll all be on minimum wages :cry:

thats what im afraid off, all the learning studying , working on site to pay for courses, only to screwed at the end. its ok for the ones who are legal and working they will realize theyre being ripped off, yes the employer bloody does win ,takes the lions share of the contract. the other side is th eillegal ones they dont have the living costs we do , no tax, no council tax, no water rates, no road tax, sometine no leccy or gas bill either, just some rent.

how are native workers supposed to compete legally within the law with this type crap going, they lay all these laws on us then screw us, letting the cheap labour get the work done througha competent employer!

shall i tel some thing where iam people £30 aday sometimes £25, for this kind of work, not fully qualified sparkies, but semi skilled , enough to drop circuits safely. but like it was said there nothing we can do about it the state just wants its tax revenue, what ever happens, they want their money, like it was said a fair days pay for a fair days work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back