Speaker for portable CD Player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Goodmans DBBS portable CD player.
Is this worth buying a decent speaker for and, if so, which one please.

Sponsored Links
I have a Logitech Z333 set up in the (smallish) office (two speakers + subwoofer) which does me OK for in the office, found a set for about £25 second hand on Marketplace (I don't think they're worth it new at £70ish). I did try them in the garage and they didn't have anywhere enough clout in a much bigger space. In there I opted for a mini amp off Amazon (£80) and some old (good) Mission speakers, it sounds outstanding for the money. Both source's are internet radios so pretty similar to CD player.

Last edited:
Many thanks fmt.
I've recently lost my hearing in one ear and really just wanted something
to playback in one ear with some good quality.

There's so many options really of varying quality from free off Marketplace up to £100s or more though not really worth going that far given the source.

Sponsored Links
There's no budget mentioned. Nor is there an idea of how you might use it. The CD player can be portable, so are you looking for an equally-portable speaker, or is mains power only totally acceptable? All of this does make it a bit tricky for anyone to come up with suggestions other than what works for them. That's fine, but it may not suit your needs. A bit more info from you would be probably help get more replies that are also closer to the target.

Based on what you have said so far though, and a bit of judicious reading between the lines, you're looking for something that's a single point stereo speaker, and with the ability to have an analogue line input from the AUX socket on the DBBS.

Single point stereo is what you get with smart speakers and Bluetooth speakers. The sound comes from one place rather than two speakers. Given your hearing issue, a conventional stereo speaker set up has the potential to sound fantastic, but you'd have to put both speakers together to get the same 'single point' effect.

There are solutions at all different budgets. Sound quality and price tend to be the inverse of each other. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. Portability depends on size and whether the unit can run from batteries. Stuff designed for outdoor use - especially if it has some sort of waterproofing features - is unlikely to have an AUX socket, but you might find the odd exception (e.g. JBL Charge 4 speaker).

I put together the following graphic (click to expand if required) to sort of illustrate the choices and compromises.

speaker choices.jpg

The little Betron speaker scores highly for portability, but at the price you don't get battery power. For that you'd need to spend more (JBL Charge 4). Sound quality though isn't a forte of these types of speakers. As long as they go loud and make a thumping noise for bass then that's about as good as you can expect.

The Echo Studio is one of the better sounding single point smart speakers in its price range. Unlike a Sonos One, you get a line input. There's also more bass thanks to the lager bass speaker. You can spend more and get better sound, but rated against other smart speakers, you'll struggle to find anything superior without upping the budget a fair bit. Portability though is limited due to requiring mains power.

The final choice here is the proper Hi-Fi stereo system. For sound quality this blows all the other options into the weeds. The difference in performance is just a chasm. The Wharfedale speakers are incredibly musical, and the little Fosi amp is about the size of a paperback novel but packs a huge amount of performance into the tiny package. You'd have to buy the Wharfedale speakers as a used buy. There are several pairs on eBay right now, but one set stands out: item number 126091837349. They're gloss black and priced at £70 which is a very good price. The catch is they're collection only from Derbyshire.

All of these are good for different reasons, and yet it may be that none tick your boxes. Until you nail down some specifics it's very difficult for anyone to help you.

The Fosi amps are indeed brilliant for the money, I have the Fosi Audio BT20A coupled with my Mission 751's in the garage, I wasn't expecting that much tbh as I'm a hifi geek from years ago so had quite high expectations but it's absolutely cracking, great to crank up high when I'm in there on my own making something or other. I still have my Cyrus 3 + power amp boxed and now dead and in need of repair that will be £££s if it can even be fixed, just don't listen to music that much in the house these days to justify the cost. :cry:

Many thanks for replies.
Will need to sit down and study my options!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back