VHS to CD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some old VHS tapes I would like to transfer to CD disks.
Am presuming I need to load VHS into a VHS tape player then connect to a CD recorder.
I have the CD player but is the only way to obtain a VHS player through a "used" source ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
DVD recorder, unless you only want to record audio (unless using an obscure VCD format and recorder!) :)

Sponsored Links
OK. have discovered (in the loft!) a Humax PVR 9200T, which would appear to be suitable for one half of the job.
As you say (TD) there are plenty of VHS recorders on ebay.
It would seem I'm half way there!

For what it is worth.....

I bought a Panasonic DMR-EZ49V to specifically copy VHS to DVD and it does the copying task to perfection.

It also provides timed recording to either format.

If they are still available I would recommend it.

If you ask on your local Freegle group I'm sure someone may have an old VHS player/recorder somewhere gathering dust.

You need a VHS tape player and a DVD recorder (which may also be available on Freegle for free).

Also what's on the tapes?
If it's family scenes then its worth the expense, if it's commercial films then it's not as they can usually be found digitally/online and downloaded/streamed.

You could bypass the dvd altogether. Get a VCR and a digital converter which will convert the video to digital files on your PC. This type of gadget are also called a video grabber. You can then copy and email the files to your heart's content.

You could bypass the dvd altogether. Get a VCR and a digital converter which will convert the video to digital files on your PC. This type of gadget are also called a video grabber. You can then copy and email the files to your heart's content.
Seems I have a parrot.

Seems I have a parrot.
You may indeed have a parrot, but having used both video capture cards and DVD recorders in my profession, there is nothing to beat the simplicity of using a dedicated DVD recorder.
Press play on the VHS player, press record, on the recorder, come back in several hours! Simples :)

Even DVD's are old hat now and they don't last as long as once thought. An old multi-media PC would be able to record to digital media from a VCR. Once on the hard disk, it can then be transferred to what ever media you like, including DVD, a USB stick, or a portable HDD or an online server.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back