speaker popping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

In my local pub, one of the speakers pops on tracks with a lot of base (very rarely though). The speaker is rated at 8 ohms and a continuous 110w. Is it likely that the crossover is faulty. the speaker was made by Acoustic Solutions but I don't think that they exist anymore.

How difficult would it be to source a suitable replacement crossover or would it be prudent to replace the whole speaker.

Sponsored Links
Is there an identical one? can you swap them to see if the problem follows the original speaker?

It’s not likely to be the crossover, it sounds like the woofer could be hitting the magnet pole piece. Could be because the woofer is damaged, the cabinet is leaking or they are just expecting too much of it

Brian

Sponsored Links
The speaker ratings aren't the first thing I'd look it. I'd start with the amp.

The speaker may well be rated for 110W continuous, but if the amp is clipping (distorting) trying to run 4x speakers through tens of metres of cable when it doesn't have the power capacity... well, the extra distortion is going to cause the voice coil to heat up and distort the former around which the wire is wrapped.

Acoustic Solutions isn't a brand to get excited about. For audio product it's about Bush or Alba quality. The name sounds familiar because it sounds similar to Acoustic Energy and Acoustic Research. Both of these are (or were) respected audiophile Hi-Fi brands. If the speaker is damaged then I'd look of a used replacement, or if the aesthetics of a used speaker is the issue then swap the driver from a donor of the same model.

Other stuff to consider
'* the amp power in to 4 Ohms (speakers connected A + B)
'* the thickness of the speaker cable versus the lengh and how much power is being wasted

Exactly! - they are all Argos own brands :)
They might well make stuff as exclusive lines for Argos, but I know product has also been sold via RicherSounds and I think one of the stores like Cash Convertors or CEX as well, so it has been independent in the past. That may have changed more recently though.

Apologies, this may be a little off-topic!

They might well make stuff as exclusive lines for Argos, but I know product has also been sold via RicherSounds and I think one of the stores like Cash Convertors or CEX as well, so it has been independent in the past. That may have changed more recently though.
You've made me question my knowledge now! ;)
What I've found is quite strange...

It seems as if AS have always been resellers rather than manufacturers.
In 2008 AS became Clarity Vision (Group) Ltd.

From at least 2011, Argos has fully owned the trademark for AS:

Whether Clarity Vision still act as the reseller for AS products, I don't know; but they do provide some interesting generic own brands!

I would agree -- start at the amp.

My '70s Aiwa amp was doing this with a set of Cambridge Audio speakers. My other '70s amp (Pioneer) didn't do it as badly. I was trying to get them to take both a left and right speaker as well as a centre speaker for the bass. It crackled very loudly until I removed the centre speaker. The problem is likely at the source of the sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back