That's not my experience over the last 40 years. What's your evidence?

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121659

And this:

ScreenHunter_371 Aug. 14 23.44.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you perhaps need to consider the context in which this has arisen - namely in relation to the maximum output power of amplifiers and speakers (i.e. at very high sound intensities).

As I recently implied, I think you'll find that the ability of humans to perceive differences between sound intensities reduces considerably at higher intensities - and, indeed probably eventually hits a ceiling ('saturates').

Kind Regards, John

I think you perhaps need to consider the context in which this has arisen - namely in relation to the maximum output power of amplifiers and speakers (i.e. at very high sound intensities).
The assertion "....3dB difference which is an almost imperceptible volume change to the human ear" was not qualified.

As I recently implied, I think you'll find that the ability of humans to perceive differences between sound intensities reduces considerably at higher intensities - and, indeed probably eventually hits a ceiling ('saturates').
And you said "particularly at high sound intensities", not "but only at high sound intensities".

The assertion "....3dB difference which is an almost imperceptible volume change to the human ear" was not qualified.
It was essentially being qualified, since that 3dB related to the 2:1 difference between "x-max" and "x-damage"
And you said "particularly at high sound intensities", not "but only at high sound intensities".
Indeed, because I have always been under the impression that around 3dB was the smallest discernible difference at 'ordinary' sound levels (and probably worse than that at high sound levels). However, as I also wrote, I may always have been wrong in that understanding.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back