Specifications not clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I was ready — even eager — to order a washing machine (from John Lewis). The space into which it would have to fit is quite limited, so it was important that one that was not too big (in any direction) was ordered. I came to look at the specifications and, though the depth and the width could be understood clearly, I was unsure whether the height was measured (where the stated specifications were concerned) from the floor to the top edge of the machine, or from the bottom edge of the machine to the top edge. There would not be a great deal of difference between the two, but all the same, I found it irritating not to be absolutely clear about the matter.

I tried the "Contact Us" facility, but it offered no means of asking a simple question - the options were all totally irrelevant.

Is there anyone on this forum that knows, for absolute certain, how to view this matter?

With thanks in anticipation of some helpful comment,

L.L

PS: I feel that in asking this question, I am showing that I am some kind of idiot. All the same, the question will not go away of its own accord, before I eventually order.

Sponsored Links
Got a link to the machine you were looking at? What's the height to the underside of your worktop, is it lower than normal?

Got a link to the machine you were looking at? What's the height to the underside of your worktop, is it lower than normal?
No, Freddymercurystwin, because I did not make up my mind which machine I should buy, anyway. Re the worktop, it's not lower than normal, since underneath the other end of it, there are a fridge and a freezer installed.

I day later: I realised (after reading your input) that I was being concerned about nothing. No manufacturer is going to make a machine that can't fit under a standard worktop! So, my only concerns now are whether it would be too deep or too wide. There is no ambiguity about those given dimensions, so no problem. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
It’ll fit. If not, just change your user name to Unlucky Luke.

Sponsored Links
I got caught out with width of a fridge/freezer, it failed to say it needed more width to open the door.
Yes, it's easy to overlook something, so it's better to be over-cautious, rather than assume that everything will be OK. The washer that I ordered is just right, I'm relieved to say.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back