Speed Controlling Icon 60 Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone one had any experience with speed controlling an airflow icon 60 mains fan, if so can you let me know what you used. The fan is in a bathroom and though very efficient its quite noisy. Airflow do a speed controller but its a bit pricey. I have been looking at a manrose unit and have spoken to there tech department, whilst they are saying it may work thats not a definite yes. So hence why i am asking on here, you cant beat experience. So any ideas.

Sponsored Links
I did sort it in the end after first wasting my money on the type of speed controller you have given links to. With one of those in use the fan makes an awful buzing sound called "motorboating" this is because of the way these controllers work, they clip the incoming ac. I eventually bought a rather bulky vent axia transformer type controller these use a large transformer that is tapped at 5 positions giving 5 speeds and an off. You dont get any "motorboating" with this set up as the taps supply an unclipped ac of a lower voltage to achieve the speed controlling. Unfortunately the unit is big and not pretty it measures 6 3/4" x 5 1/4" x 4 1/4" the later being how much it protrudes from the wall. I bought it of Ebay i seem to remember, here is an Ebay link to something similar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILENT-FAN-SP...arden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item27a5afc5f9

It doesnt appear to give its size and of course you would have to check its suitability for your fan.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hmm, I see it is "Excellent for hydroponic grow room fans"

Gotta keep those rastaplants well ventilated. ;)

Sponsored Links
You'd probably keel over doing the tending if you didn't.

Or at least forget what you were in there for....

Thanks Hotwire,

I have already ordered the one i linked to though... if I have the same issue as you I will investigate other alternatives, though If i go for something huge it will have to go in the loft, with a remote switch.

Your welcome, i hope you dont get the problem i mentioned. I did think about using the switch remotely and stowing the transformer in the loft but there was an oddity with the switch meaning it was not going to be that easy. Anyway best of luck.

Hi Monkeyhunter. How did you get on with the speed controller? I have just ordered the same fan and will probably get some sort of speed control. Which one did you order and did it work??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back