speed fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wondering on what people opinions are on use speed fittings either the copper or plastics ones is over traditional soldered fittings.
i need to alter the pipe work as i'm fitting a mixer shower i've used soldered fittings before although i will be a little rusty at doing them as the last ones i did were about 10 years ago, i've never used speed fit before and am just a little wary of something that just pushes together as use the pipes are in i wont be able to gain acess to them should there be a problem. :D

Sponsored Links
Never keen on them myself. The seal is a rubber ring which will possibly alternate between hot and cold depending on pipe usage. Seem to remember the eventual degrading of a rubber seal being the cause of the spaceshuttle blowing up!!

i agree yp or endex copper fittings are always my first preference but if used correctly then any of the suitable plastic pushfit ranges will be ok

you can't beat a perfectly soldered connection.
a properly installed pushfit is still a lot better than a poor soldering job.
i have been using polyplumb for several years and never had a problem.
had one problem with an installation done in hepworth, which i used before polyplumb.

Sponsored Links
It's the longevity of the speedfit fittings that worries me!

50 years on polyplumb pipe, and 30 on the fittings if i remember correctly.
i know that is too long to ever expect to have to prove, but it is not a bad start

50 years on polyplumb pipe, and 30 on the fittings if i remember correctly.
i know that is too long to ever expect to have to prove, but it is not a bad start

True, if it is true. How long have these fittings been around?
Maybe it's my suspicious and cynical side, but temp change, variable pressure, chemicals in pipe etc etc - it corrodes metals, so what chance does a rubber o-ring stand?? Rubber notorious for degrading.

good point.
i wonder if rubber has evolved anywhere near as much as plastics.
i know synthetic oil and mineral oil have huge differences, but no idea about synthetic rubbers.

but no idea about synthetic rubbers

do you want to put this quote on the other post "tamsin???" :LOL:

Seriously though, I just have this vision of having to spend a lot of my working life struggling to get into increasingly confined space to dismantle and refit these fittings, which we can perform contortions to install now since they go together so easily, but will be a complete burger to subsequently deal with.

Speedfit is fine, just make sure you push the pipe all the way in and Really! tighten the screw cap on them.

I must admit I'm still suspicious of plastic pipe and fittings, mostly because it's a newer technology than copper. I do use plastic where I feel it's appropriate, and it can make some jobs much easier. Neatly soldered copper is much nicer to look at though :)

Personaly Im not great at soldering, so when moving a mates boiler+Plumbing in his kitchen I used speedfit and it was a dream to install, can really see why its so appealing.

On the other hand if the o-rings perish nearly as quick as those used in modern boiler then I could see people in the next 5 years having to pull houses down nearly to change all the orings.

For the gas fittings in moving the boiler I obviouslt couldnt use push fit, so resorted to the yourkshire solderring fittings, the pre soldered ones you just shove one the pipe and heat them, cant reccomend them enough, a dodle to fit and I suspect more robust than speedfit, espesialy if you boxing them in after you want to know there solid!

ah well i don't want to risk any leaks as once it's all in i can't get to the pipe work again so i think i'll stick to solder, thanks all :D

alls i want to know is,is the guarantee going to be upheld in say 20 years time. or are the manufacturers going to blame dirty systems etc.to get out of it.it wouldnt be the first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back