Speed skim size and type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I only do plastering once in a while and can just about get a reasonably flat finish.

Am thinking of getting a speed skim and just wondering if knowing my quite limited use it would be worth it to help me flatten finish coats.

If yes, should I go for 1200mm or another size and if plastic or metal blade.

I have a 1800mm aluminium feather edge I use if rendering or bonding but it's quite a different thing and I don't find it that easy to use but I eventually get there with it and it does what I need.

Coming up I have one lowish wall with a large window today, and then 2 ordinary flat head on walls (head on when entering room s) which I will render and bond first, old chimney breasts taken out etc.

It may take me a while to get familiar with a speed skim or to break in the new edge, so noting my limited use I am just wondering as most people who use them rave about them what people suggest in my circumstances. Meanwhile I finish with a standard Marshaltown, don't own/use a super fiex or anything like that and as said it's quite reasonable for a non plasterer.

Many thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

Yes they are expensive. Just tried looking up 20" Marshaltown, not cheap either but likely be able to use in more areas etc.
There are so many 20" by them, any particular model/name please?
When you say 600mm spatula, do you mean just that, a spatula? Again if you could give me the name of one so can look up and ensure am looking at what you're thinking.

... and thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Great, thank you. All very much appreciated.

... and do the 20" finishing Marshaltowns have special names? I can see permashape (which seems expensive) and some other names...or will any 20" Marshaltown do?

Again, many thanks.
John

Thanks, just seen your second link. All very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back