Speedfit elbows or cold forming bend....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im moving some rads and am undecided whether to use elbows or cold forming bends (cfb's). Most people seem to use elbows but it seems preferable to use cfb's for a better flow.

Anyone experience of cfb's and their long term reliability?

Sponsored Links
When you say cold forming bend, are you referring to using speed fit pipe and just bending it a bit?

If that's the case the bends are fine it's what speed fit is for, as far as reliability goes it's not a 'thing' it's just a flexible pipe that you will have flexed a bit so it's as reliable as a straight pipe, assuming you stick to the minimum bend radius (ie don't get to the point it could kink)

Les fittings is always preferable, but not everyone has room under the floor to bend it to the vertical for the radiator so thus the 90 degree elbow fitting option

One of these:

image.jpg

Yea, that's just bending the pipe by hand and using that bit to keep it in shape, if u got the room for them then go for it

Sponsored Links
I just put them on and laid the pipe. I assume that's all you need to do?

We use these under/in solid floors so there's no joints to leak.

Pushfit stuff is liable to leak, especially if you slightly scratch the exterior of the pipe during installation (warranties specifically exclude this), so the cold forming bend is a great thing to use where you won't be able to inspect it afterwards.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm using them under wooden floors rather than elbows, just for better flow.

Best way to do it, less elbows = less chance for leaks also. And yes there will be a little less resistance also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back