Speedfit problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm currently fitting a bathroom and my house is all plumbed in plastic as it's a new build.

Now when I have started to rip out the bathroom I've noticed there are no iso valves on any of the taps. Anyway I've bought some speedfit service valves and used the superseal inserts, now my problem is that like a nugget the first one I did I put on the wrong way and the insert is now stuck into the service valve. I'm wanting to put copper straight out of the service valve.

Is there anyway to remove it or is it stuck? If I put copper straight out with the insert still in will it be OK??

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you pull the locking ring out of the fitting then you will be able to pull the insert out
Are the speedfit valves suitable for hot water as not all are

Doesn't matter which way up they are, they'll either sieze up or pish all over the place soon enough either way

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter which way up they are, they'll either sieze up or pish all over the place soon enough either way

That remains to be seen. All good so far. Been plumbed in plastic for years now without fault.

That remains to be seen. All good so far. Been plumbed in plastic for years now without fault.
I think he means the speedfit service valves. Do yourself a favour and get some good quality full bore compression isolaters.

I think he means the speedfit service valves. Do yourself a favour and get some good quality full bore compression isolaters.

With regard to using compression iso valves I do believe you have to still use an insert on the plastic pipe which slightly reduces the bore anyway? They seem OK so far. And tbh if I do get any trouble I can get to them anyway. It's the rest of the house I worry about all CH plumbed in plastic and hot n cold under crappy chipboard flooring. Two ensuites, bathroom, utility and kitchen.......One day I might have trouble!

Plastic is fine in my experience as long as installed right, i suppose time will tell.
Yes the inserts reduce the internal bore of the pipe but no point reducing it further.
every speedfit isolater i have come across a year or so down the line is either leaking or unable to turn off.
Not sure on price of the speedfit isolaters but i sure they are not cheap and a decent comp valve would be a cheaper option. You get special speedfit inserts for compression fittings, they come minus the rubber seals.

Plastic is fine in my experience as long as installed right, i suppose time will tell.
Yes the inserts reduce the internal bore of the pipe but no point reducing it further.
every speedfit isolater i have come across a year or so down the line is either leaking or unable to turn off.
Not sure on price of the speedfit isolaters but i sure they are not cheap and a decent comp valve would be a cheaper option. You get special speedfit inserts for compression fittings, they come minus the rubber seals.

I've got some of those mate. I'm gonna leave it for the minute if it starts leaking in the future I'll change the inserts and use a regular compression valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back