Speedometer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have got a 1997 R reg Rover Ascot 100. The car has been off the road for while and I have decided to have it MOT'd. Whilst driving it I noticed the speedo was not working.
The cable connects to another short cable which connects to gearbox. I have parted the speedo cable from the drive cable and the inner speed cable is l
loose.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is, for example, is it the speedo cable or drive connection? Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
If you can turn the inner flexible cable, it's either come out of the gear box, or it is broken.
Is it possible to disconnect the cable from the rear of the speedo head? if so, could you position the cable, so you can see it when driving, it should rotate if everything is ok.
Very little to go wrong in the speedo head, so chances are cable has broken.

Wotan

Hi Wotan, I have parted the speedo cable from gearbox drive and I can pull out the inner cable. I was told by someone that the inner cable will not come out unless it is broken, however, the cable does not seem to be broken as there are ends on either end. Can you tell me if the inner cable should come out or is it broken behind the speedometer? Also I can feel behind the speedo where the cable enters, but can you tell me how I can remove it?
Thanks Dave

From my recollections of years ago, the speedo inner cable, could be removed and new inner fitted, without disturbing the outer case.
the cable was always the correct length, and usually had a square section on each end.
I have no expierence of the speedo cable fitted to your car, I was speaking generally.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
if the cable is still in one piece, put a cordless drill on the gearbox drive end and see if the speedo moves at all.
Should help you narrow things down.
Alot of gearbox speedo drives are plastic, so quite prone to breaking

If the cable still has squares on each end, examine it carefully to see if it had rounded off one end at the point it enters the drive or speedo, that will allow it to slip.

Back