Spilt drink, tripped fuze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I spilt a drink from a table down a wall and into a socket. This tripped an rcd, so I switched off all other fuzes on this rcd, switched back on again until I found the culprit fuze.

I have taken the face plate off, hoping the socket will dry overnight. If this still trips in the morning what else can I do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If this still trips in the morning what else can I do?
Leave it longer, or buy a replacement. Is the drink likely to leave a sticky residue?

BTW - it's 'fuse', not 'fuze' (didn't that get flagged as an error?
upload_2018-7-28_23-6-49.png
), and if you can switch them off it's neither - they are miniature circuit breakers, MCBs.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-28_23-6-13.png
    upload_2018-7-28_23-6-13.png
    316 bytes · Views: 222
I did wonder that when I posted. There is a record label called fuze, that's my confusion after a stressful couple of hours.

Was a glass of red wine, which has been cleaned up as good as possible from the socket (and cream carpet, sofa and wall :( )

Also, to add to the complications, it seems the downstairs sockets minus kitchen and just one of the three bedrooms upstairs are on the same ring. Which seems odd but there you go.

Sponsored Links
if you've taken the faceplate off and disconnected it from the wires, wash it in warm water with half a drop of WUL. Then rinse it in clean water, shake the loose water out of it, and leave it face down to dry overnight.

this will remove the traces which may be corrosive or sticky.

Washing sockets and putting them in the oven to dry?????????

If it still trips buy a new one!!

Washing sockets and putting them in the oven to dry?????????

If it still trips buy a new one!!
Not sure about oven, but anyway who would want an odd socket, we don't even know if those sockets are still available. So definitely better for a diyer iy try to clean the existing plastic and metal before wasting it

if you've taken the faceplate off and disconnected it from the wires, wash it in warm water with half a drop of WUL. Then rinse it in clean water, shake the loose water out of it, and leave it face down to dry overnight.

this will remove the traces which may be corrosive or sticky.
WUL? What is it?

Seems to work fine now, which is good.

Red wine stain another matter mind. :/

Clearly yet another reason to favour beer!

For most of last week, even with automatic vents and louvres, my greenhouse was well above 40°C until I opened the doors, so that would have worked as well as the 40° oven that BAS suggested :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back