Spilt White Spirit On Carpet - Please Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was painting and left a white spirit inside a plastic tub, the tub was sat in a wooden box.

Came to it today and the white sirit has eaten right through the plastic tub and seeped right through the wooden box and into the carpet.

I don't just have the problem of the smell, but it has made the carpet go all bubbly and floppy. It has soaked into the chipboard underneath.

I'm going to soak it with bi carb soda but any tips for sorting the bubbles and the floppiness in the carpet??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
bicarb won't do any good.

if the carpet or underlay is rubber, it will be perished and ruined.

if the flooring is chipboard, it will not AFAIK be damaged, but it will smell for months or years, and is now highly inflammable. I hope no-one smokes or uses candles or an open fire in the room.

It sounds to me like you are going to have to cut out and throw away the damaged carpet, and probably the chipboard too.

White spirit will cause skin inflammation, and also attacks (latex) rubber gloves. Try to get some PVC or poly gloves. It will not do your chest any good if you are breathing the fumes.

You have a fire hazrd.

I didnt think about it as a fire hazard, it is just in the spare bedroom and luckily none of us smoke or use candles.

Can you piece a carpet?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back