Help with this waste pipe mess please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I am a long time visitor, first time poster.
Recently I noticed in the bathroom that the skirting board near the toilet had become damp. I lifted up the vinyl flooring to find it soaking wet with what looked like waste water.
Now I am no plumber but thought I would have a crack at finding the problem.
All the plumbing for the toilet is boxed in, both inlet and waste, so I had to pull all the wooden surround out.
When I did this I was greeted with a complete mess of stagnant water and filthy pipes. Strangely up until that point it had not smelled bad.
Now the one thing I don't get is that there is what appears to be a waste pipe just sat there, open with nothing connected. I am guessing that this is where the water is coming from. I have attached pics.
Can anybody explain to me why this is like this? as it makes no sense to me. Also how do I go about blocking it off?

Thanks in advance.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Eewww, that's awful.

It looks like the toilet waste isn't sealed into the larger pipe, and is that another waste (sink ?) going into the top or a vent pipe ? The other open pipe may or may not be a problem, but assuming it isn't capped off at the other end, it should be capped off to keep foul air from the drains coming back out.

Yes you are right it is awful!!
The one entering the wall at the far corner at the bottom is the sink waste.
I don't know who installed this, but it seems to be a bodge job. the uncapped pipe leaks ever so slightly when the kitchen tap is running and also when upstairs flushes the toilet (its a flat) so this must be what has made the floor damp.

Well get that capped ASAP. As an interim measure, stuff something (rolled up plastic bag ?) tightly.

Is your toilet waste well sealed into that larger pipe through the wall ? If not then you'll be wanting to deal with that as well.

And I suggest you disinfect the area well - it's going to be a veritable bug farm.

Sponsored Links
Ok so I have managed to get into the cupboard the other side of the wall.
It appears that there is a main soil pipe coming straight down from above and a separate thinner pipe next to it. Seems like this is what the uncapped pipe is connected to. Would this be a vent pipe? if so why is the pipe uncapped next to the toilet?

My guess is that the smaller pipe is a waste pipe for the sinks, and that once your bathroom had a sink or bath connected to it. The smaller pipe probably joins into the soil stack lower down - it's sometimes done this way as joining at the same height as the toilet can allow the toilet flush to backflow up the sink waste if not done properly.

The open pipe would probably have been for a basin at some point in the past, why it was left open is anybody's guess.... :eek: Best plan to cap that off is to buy a waste coupling of appropriate size, (use compression waste if unsure of material of existing pipework), and fit that, (may need to cut that odd looking fitting off first), then fit a plug in the other end of your new coupling.

Get a stout pair of rubber gloves and clean out that corner with hot water and bleach, it's already bacteria r us, and may cause additional problems if left as is apart from stinking the place out. :cry:

Thinner pipe could be a vent, looking at the 4" from the toilet there is a vent attached to that, common practice was to vent every appliance some years ago especially when a stack served several floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back