Splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190628_100021.jpg
I’m really not sure which forum to place this question, hope I’ve picked correctly...

I’m installing a splashback for the first time, two panels.
Where the panels meet there is a gap where the wall is not square.

What should i do?
Should i run mastic up the corner edge?
Are splashbacks meant to be finished with mastic sealing all of the edges?

Sponsored Links
Need sealing to prevent condensation , grease getting behind .

So it’s quite normal to seal the internal corner with mastic?
I just want to be absolutely sure since the YouTube videos I’ve watched always end with when they have stuck the panels to the walls. You never see them sealing with mastic, and in the one instance they did the guy used a clear mastic which wouldn’t help me since the gap would still show through on my corner.

So it’s quite normal to seal the internal corner with mastic?
I just want to be absolutely sure since the YouTube videos I’ve watched always end with when they have stuck the panels to the walls. You never see them sealing with mastic, and in the one instance they did the guy used a clear mastic which wouldn’t help me since the gap would still show through on my corner.
You could use colour matched sealant .

Sponsored Links
These guys sell a wide range of coloured silicone sealants.

I would however recommend using clear silicone for the 90 degree return. Glass with the back painted has some rather odd optical qualities. Even if you had a perfect colour match silicone I am worried that the join would stick out like a sore thumb, erm, one that is clearly sitting on the surface. The clear silicone will create a subtle shadow line.

If your glass was coloured all the through, then yes I would recommend a colour matched silicone.

The clear silicone will additionally make it much easier to seal the join between the glass to the worktop. Where the glass meets the plasterwork- do not use silicone- it will create problems when you try to repaint the walls. Standard caulk or clear CT1 will be fine.

These guys sell a wide range of coloured silicone sealants.

I would however recommend using clear silicone for the 90 degree return. Glass with the back painted has some rather odd optical qualities. Even if you had a perfect colour match silicone I am worried that the join would stick out like a sore thumb, erm, one that is clearly sitting on the surface. The clear silicone will create a subtle shadow line.

If your glass was coloured all the through, then yes I would recommend a colour matched silicone.

The clear silicone will additionally make it much easier to seal the join between the glass to the worktop. Where the glass meets the plasterwork- do not use silicone- it will create problems when you try to repaint the walls. Standard caulk or clear CT1 will be fine.

It’s a cream coloured acrylic splashback.
If i use a clear silicone on the corner the gap would show through.

It’s a cream coloured acrylic splashback.
If i use a clear silicone on the corner the gap would show through.

Is the acrylic coloured, or is the back coloured?

If the former, find out what RAL colour it is and get a silicone with the same RAL number. If not, then I would still recommend clear.

Alternatively, you could ask the supplier what they recommend.

Sorry, just noticed your comment about the walls not being square. Can't you pack out the splashbacks to make them square? if you con't want to buy glass suction pads, you could use gaffer tape on the surface of the acrylic to pull it forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back