Splicing into wiring circuit for out site light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to splice into an existing lighting circuit for a new outside light.

I have run the cable from the new switch up to where I am looking to splice into the existing circuit. However the ceiling rose being fed by 3 cables - is there an easy way to check which of the 3 I can splice into without getting caught up in the switched live currently controlling thar ceiling rose?

Reading all the tutorials online they seem to negate this issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am looking to splice into an existing lighting circuit for a new outside light.

I have run the cable from the new switch up to where I am looking to splice into the existing circuit. However the ceiling rose being fed by 3 cables - is there an easy way to check which of the 3 I can splice into without getting caught up in the switched live currently controlling thar ceiling rose?

Reading all the tutorials online they seem to negate this issue?

Thanks

Can you not just get a cable directly into this ceiling rose?

Sponsored Links
Isn't that what OP is asking for advice on?
No, I thought he was asking how to identify a switch cable without actually entering the ceiling rose, as he mentions splicing, which to me means jointing into a cable.

I hope so, but maybe @sparkwright saw the word "splice" which has different implications.
Generally the only people I've heard use the word splice while doing electrical work are foreigners, in the American language for example it generally just equates to our use of connect or join. As such I assumed this to be the case here

Hi all

Sorry for the confusion but basically the ceiling rose is already full with the 3 cables and a tiny hole through the ceiling so was hoping as I already had the floor boards up running the new cable that it would be easier to joint in the ceiling void rather than trying to squeeze it into the rose.

Hi all

Sorry for the confusion but basically the ceiling rose is already full with the 3 cables and a tiny hole through the ceiling so was hoping as I already had the floor boards up running the new cable that it would be easier to joint in the ceiling void rather than trying to squeeze it into the rose.

Joints must be either maintenance free, or accessible for inspection and test. Google maintenance free junction box if that's what you decide to do.

Yes you could put a maintenance free JB under the floor. Just identify the correct cable by looking in the Rose.

but I’m surprised you can’t get another cable in there. I’ve seen quite a lot squeezed in, and you can usually cut an extra hole.

Yes you could put a maintenance free JB under the floor. Just identify the correct cable by looking in the Rose.

but I’m surprised you can’t get another cable in there. I’ve seen quite a lot squeezed in, and you can usually cut an extra hole.
A lot depends on how the existing work has been done but 4 T&E's in a standard rose is usually very simple, but it does mean having 2 wires in some of the holes which some are wary of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back