Split stair tread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice on how best to repair the split on my pine staircase?

It's about an inch from the front edge and goes almost all the way across,but is still attached at each end,if I put my foot on it it opens up the split and looks like it might be ready to let go.

Any repair ideally needs to look good because this is a varnished staircase and I don't want a carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_164855.jpg
    IMG_20191020_164855.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
you could drill pilot holes through the nosing of the tread, and drive in say sf 17409 screws of a suitable length.
sink the heads if theres enough meat, and apply plugs to suit.

nosings project 25mm on average although 40mm is allowed. 40mm is vulnerable to splitting.

Sponsored Links
you could drill pilot holes through the nosing of the tread, and drive in say sf 17409 screws of a suitable length.
sink the heads if theres enough meat, and apply plugs to suit.

nosings project 25mm on average although 40mm is allowed. 40mm is vulnerable to splitting.

It sticks out about 25mm,I'll glue and screw it then.Should I use PVA wood glue (because I have some) or is there a better option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back