splitting ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi how do i go about splitting a ring main that covers all my house sockets ect all bar the cooker socket i would like to have the kitchen sockets and upstairs on a seperate ring , there is room for two 32 amp mcb in cu
any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This work is notifiable because you are creating 2 new circuits so remember to notify your BCO before you start the work and ensure you understand the regulations regarding safe routing of cables etc.

To start trace the circuit cables coming from the consumer unit (usually 2 for a ring main) and draw a detailed diagram of their route noting every socket/FCU etc. If the circuit was wired on a floor by floor basis then it shouldn't be too difficult to split but if the wiring alternates between the floors then you are in for a more difficult task and it will result in almost rewiring the circuits.

If they are wired on a floor by floor basis:

1) Remove the link between the last socket on the ground floor and the first socket on the first floor.
2) Remove the link between the first and last kitchen sockets and the rest of the ground floor sockets.
3) Complete the ground floor ring with a new length of cable where the kitchen feeds originally were.
4) Run a length of cable from the last socket on the ground floor back to it's MCB.
5) Run a new length of cable to the first socket on the first floor and connect that to another MCB.
6) Run 2 new lengths of cable from the first and last socket in the kitchen to their MCB.
7) Test for ring continuity to make sure you have done everything correctly then get it tested out depending on the requirements of your BCO.

Use 2.5mm² throughout. Do not extend the cables if they are too short instead replace them with new, it's not worth doing a half assed job considering the extent of the work you will be carrying out.

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back