Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many 13 amp twin socket can be run on a 32 amp fuse ring main ?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the intended load and useage for the circuit.

What are you planning on doing?

The answer in terms of the regs is "unlimited", as in you can have as many as you like.

Hovever, you need to assess intended usage to decide if more than one circuit would be required.

The classic RING FINAL CIRCUIT (Not 'ring main') can only serve a maximum of 100m/sq floor space, and must have a MINIMUM of 2.5mm/sq conductors.

How many 13 amp twin socket can be run on a 32 amp fuse ring main ?

As many as you want :LOL:

The assumption is made that no matter how many sockets you have on a ring you can't have a total load exceeding 32A which x 230v = 7000 odd watts.
The fuse would pop.

So in theory if you had 500 double sockets and each device drew 7w then it would work.

Sponsored Links
I have added 10 extra sockets in my kitchen making a total of 13 and there are another 6 sockets on the same ring.
I am due for an electrical test on Thursday and was wondering if I might have done something wrong.
But going by the replies it seems im ok.
Many Thanks all

Ian

Depends if you think you are likely to be doing your laundry, toasting a tea cake and boiling a kettle at the same time as microwaving yesterdays leftovers......

Mmm-
A socket is about 150mm, add a gap of 50mm between each socket.

So 200mm in to 84,000mm is 420 sockets.

Isn't that enough ? :D

Back to the OP- The socket volume has design limitations, these limitations are based on the intended devices that will be used in the sockets. Kitchens are always 'seen' as high demand locations and to confirm everything is okay the device load total should be calculated and diversity applied if appropriate to do so.

So if you consider your install and your 16 doubles, what have you got connected that might be used all at once?

Microwave 800w
Kettle 1000w
Toaster 1000w
Dish washer 1500w
Washing Machine 1500w
Tumble drier 2000w
TV 200w
Iron 1500w

(note: load figures pulled from an imaginary hat)

Unlikely, but then every house in the land has the same potential situation of overload.
The smart thing to do is simply not to use everything at once, so don't eat breakfast while washing, drying, ironing clothes and washing last night dirty pots at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back