Consumer Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st of all let me start of by saying thanks, been reading this forum for sometime now and finding it very helpful. I currently have a fuse box which looks very old and worn, so looking at replacing it with a consumer unit. Between the meter and fuse box is a switch, so can turn power off before it reaches the fuse box. The kitchen is currently on the down stairs ring main. For the consumer unit would I be right in thinking I would need,

Ring Main Up Stairs 32 amp
Ring Main Down Stairs 32 amp
Washer/Dryer in utility room 32 amp
Kitchen Ring 32 amp
Light Up 6 amp
Light Down 6 amp
Cooker/ hob 40 amp

Hope I am on the right track with this.

Russ

Sponsored Links
Dont even attempt a consumers unit change unless you know what your doing, Get an Electrician in as it's not just a case of swapping old for new! Once the new board is fitted it needs to be tested for safety and the only way to do such test is with suitable calibrated test gear (costs about £500)

You only live once, dont risk loosing it!

Hi Russell,

Sorry but without knowing the characteristics of your circuits, like cable sizes, wether they are in fact ring/radial circuits etc I feel we cannot advise you on the protection needed.
Do you have the 'kit' to test the circuits, and feel capable of using it ?

RCBO's or RCD's might be worth looking into.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Thought it would of been a case of swapping new for old so will go down the electrician route, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back