Kitchen wiring makes no sense!

I didn't notice any sarcasm in Monkeh's reply and yes, you may well know more about gas turbine generators then 99% of people on here. A doctor will know more about the human body than 99% of people on here.

The phrase '...you don't know what electricity is..' is a little sarcastic, don't you think? I mention the fact about GTGs as a retort to the comment as there wouldn't be much electricity without them, not as a random fact.

Not a phrase I used, funnily enough. ;)

On a related note, I probably know more about networking than anyone here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Monkeh- I thought the former owners had been fiddling with the circuits but its perhaps normal. I've found live wires hanging behind plaster board so I'm touchy on what has been done by them or the builders.

On the CU, I'm not ure whether its RCD or not (Im not there at the moment). I don't have any photos with me but I'll try and remember to take some tomorrow and post back.
To be clear, the fused switches are going to single sockets at the moment-it was my question as to whether change these to fused doubles would remove the need for the switch at all but for the sake of it, I think the switches can remain there and I'll just move the socket itslef (as Im moving the fridge a few feet). (When I say 'I'll move'-I mean I'll be getting someone to move for me- just to be very lear there)

Thank you for your help. Its answered a number of the queries I had. I will try and drop some pics on here tmrw.

The phrase '...you don't know what electricity is..' is a little sarcastic, don't you think? I mention the fact about GTGs as a retort to the comment as there wouldn't be much electricity without them, not as a random fact.
So does that mean that a guy on the assembly line at Boeing knows how to fly a 787?

Sponsored Links
You need to talk to your electrician.

What exactly are the loose cables behind the plasterboard?

You say you have a 16 amp supply for the cooker, which later is described as a 32 amp supply. Are there two separate circuits?
Clarification needed.

The separate 6 amp circuit - a doorbell circuit perhaps?

You should maintain the switched fused spurs for easy isolation of appliances. Alternatively fit a 3 or 4 gang 20 amp switch bank in one single location above worktop. Appropriate fusing of each appliance needed.

No real need to add extra socket circuits from consumer unit - it's a newish house, and you aren't altering the electrical design that much imo.
Some houses still have a ring doing whole house.

Are most of the accessories in the correct place?

Need to know ratings of cooking devices and separate cooking circuits you may have ie cable sizes and mcb sizes.

You need to talk to your electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back