Lighting Circuit in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody advise, I have a flat built around 1985. Yesterday I turned the light on for my lounge and the bulb blew. At the same time the lights for my Kitchen, bathroom and also my extractor fun stopped working. The lights for my hall and bedroom were not affected.

My consumer unit has one a 5 Amp, 15 Amp 2x 30 Amp and a 45 Amp socket fuses. The 5 Amp fuse is for the hall and bedroom lights.

Could anybody advise which if any fuse needs changing. Or is the problem iwith the actual lighting sockets or circuit.

Sponsored Links
Have you worked on any of the electrics recently or done any work around the house ?

I need more information !!

By rights all lighting should be on the 5amp, usually 2 in a house but as you're in a flat...
My first suggestion would to be turn off the mains and pull each fuse and inspect them (torch in hand !). Let us know if any have blown.
As bobydigital said have you done any work lately? It could be that a wire has come loose.
I dread to think though that if one of your other fuses has blown how the wiring has been done.

Hi,

Yes, new bathroom suit fitted with an electric shower, however this was all done at the weekend. The electric shower is currentley not conected up. Cable feeds up into loft awaiting Electrician to come back next week to conect to the Consumer unit.

Everything else has been working fine until last night.

The shaver point was also removed, but choc blocked taped up and a dummy pannel fitted over it.

Sponsored Links
Philwebster said:
Hi,

Yes, new bathroom suit fitted with an electric shower, however this was all done at the weekend. The electric shower is currentley not conected up. Cable feeds up into loft awaiting Electrician to come back next week to conect to the Consumer unit.

Everything else has been working fine until last night.

The shaver point was also removed, but choc blocked taped up and a dummy pannel fitted over it.

check the shaver point. its possible the problem may be there

I think you have a fuse you don't know about. If all those other lights aren't on the 5 amp fuse, they must be on a fused connection unit somewhere. Look around the flat for something the size and shape of a light switch but - probably - without the switch. There will be a fuse carrier in it and a fuse of the type normally found in plugs. These often blow at the same time as a bulb.

Alternatively, the working lights are on the FCU and the 5 amp fuse in the consumer unit has gone, though I'm assuming you've checked that already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back