5 amp fuse on lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My aunt recently ask me to help her because the main fuse on her lighting circuit had blown. This happened when an old incandescent bulb in the house had failed.

When I looked at the fuse it was only 5 amp, rather than the usual 15. This would explain why the failing bulb managed to blow the fuse.

Might there be a reason why the original fitters used a 5 amp fuse, or should I just replace it with a 15 amp one instead?

Thanks

Robin

Sponsored Links
Domestic lighting circuits are not usually fused at 15A.

When I looked at the fuse it was only 5 amp, rather than the usual 15. This would explain why the failing bulb managed to blow the fuse.

15amps for a lighting circuit is absolutely not usual, 5amp is normal for home lighting. A failing bulb can sometimes cause a fuse to blow, especially they can cause an even more sensitive MCB to trip.

15amps for a lighting circuit is absolutely not usual, 5amp is normal for home lighting. A failing bulb can sometimes cause a fuse to blow, especially they can cause an even more sensitive MCB to trip.
Mine trips almost every time a bulb pops.

Sponsored Links
To the OP, why do you think 15A is usual?

Lighting circuits in the UK are often 5 or 6A and very occasionally you will find 10A.

I haven't had that happen since energy-saving bulbs came in.

Have you got old-fashioned spotlights or downlighters?
I've found CFL's usually trip the MCB if they fail on switch on.

I haven't

If they didn't last so long, I'd be all LEDs by now. I changed an early Phillips stick recently, looked at the installation date I'd written on it, and was pleased it had lasted five years. I looked again. The date was not /15 but /05.

(my BiL was over from Australia when EDF were sponsoring a "CFLs for 50p" campaign, and bought dozens to take home. They were expensive at the time.)

I haven't had that happen since energy-saving bulbs came in.

Have you got old-fashioned spotlights or downlighters?
I have changed the 8 GU10 spot bulbs in the kitchen for LED's and none of them have blown in the past year (they would pop the breaker when they blew) but we still have a total of 20 candle bulbs throughout the house and if they pop when the lights are switched on, the breaker will pop too. The ones I have been getting are ones that look like they have a halogen bulb in but coincidentally I bought a pack of 20 only this week and they are the old style filament type. I don’t think I’ve seen them for ages.

Sooner or later I think you'll convert to an LED system. No transformers; run cool; long-lasting; cheap to run.

this is for your candelabra? No, they all seem to have the thick white base.

apart from the more expensive "imitation filament" ones

https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=candle
Yep, our 35 year old chandeliers and wall lamps. Well, we are in Essex! :LOL:

AC7476F8-2E95-4F57-A089-28D9B0C51E61.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back