Wall lights off ring. Fuse blows when lights turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Project: Wall lights in living room.

Hi all. I must have done something wrong but can't see what.

I needed to add a socket outlet to an existing main ring circuit as this was more convenient than the lighting circuit. I spured off from an existing wall plug socket in the living room (that had no existing spur), and fitted a fused box unit with a 5-amp fuse. From that fused box I then wired up to a light switch and from that to two wall lights. Confident that I'd wired it all up fine the plasterers then came in and plastered the whole room. (should have tested it before but I still can't see where I went wrong!)

If I switch the light switch off, fit a 5 amp fuse to the fused box I fitted and switch the wall lights on then they light okay. As soon as I switch the lights off the 5 amp fuse blows, and takes the bulbs out aswell. I've double checked all connections for shorting etc and can't see a problem. The two wall lights have just one 40w bulb in each. Have I totally overlooked something obvious? When we had the conservatory fitted I basically copied exactly what the electricians did when they fitted the conservatory wall lights!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'd think it would be a fault in the switch. What make of switch did you use? And what are the connections labelled and where did you put each cable?

If you have the means, a picture of the switch, light and FCU connections would be very handy.

ryanj said:
I'd think it would be a fault in the switch. What make of switch did you use? And what are the connections labelled and where did you put each cable?

If you have the means, a picture of the switch, light and FCU connections would be very handy.

Thanks ryanj for your swift reply, I'm not sure what make of switch it was, I just picked it up from B&Q> I'll check it.

I've got a decent digital camera so I'll also take photo's of the switch connections, FCU connections and light connections as you suggested as soon as I get chance.

Thanks for your help.

Don't have time for a nice diagram, but check the wiring is connected to the terminals the way it is on this diagram:-

connections.JPG

Sponsored Links
your drawing is fine, but since it only happens when you turn the lights off i would guess you have the neutral in the switch connected or touching L2

your drawing is fine, but since it only happens when you turn the lights off i would guess you have the neutral in the switch connected or touching L2

That drawing was by me (not the original author), showing him how it should look.

I don't think the neutral is connected to L2 in anyway, because when he replaces the fuse after it's blown, it doesn't blow again.

It does when he turns the lights off, which is consistent with neutral being in L2...

All sorted. Thanks to all who replied.

The wifes just asked why it has taken 8 months to sort it out. I told her that the plasterer must have used the wrong type of plaster when he plastered the wall, then I walked off. That was 10 minutes ago and she still hasn't questioned it.... he he LOL.

I stupidly wired up the light switch wrong despite checking it half a dozen times!

One look at ryanj's diagram made me realise what a plonker I'd been. I'll know for next time! Thanks ryanj.

Thanks guys, I'm in the wifes good books.

breezer said:

Just so you all know, yes I did stupidly wire the neutrals up to L2 as Breezer & Ban said. Cheers again ryan, ban & breezer. And thanks ryan for taking the time to do the diagram.

jenicks said:
I stupidly wired up the light switch wrong
Can't argue with that.

I'd love to know how, in your mind's eye, you thought a switch worked..

I'll know for next time!
I'm not sure you should plan on any next times - at least, not until you've done a lot more learning...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back