Fuse size for 2 (& for 3) 50W downlights on 240V ring ma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping you can help me (as the instructions don't aren't) with the following......

The installation of 2 or 3 (not sure yet) halogen downlights (each fitted with a 50W bulb) fed by a spur from the sole existing lights circuit is intended, which is currently protected by a 6-amp fuse at the mains box.

The instruction leaflet states: "A light fitting should be connected to a lighting circuit protected by a-5 amp fuse. If a light fitting is to be connected to a ring main, a fused connection unit fitted with a 3-amp fuse should be installed"

So (if what is planned were done) would that constitute having connected to the "lighting circuit", or connecting to a "mains ring"?

Also, the instuctional requirements only appear to be being stated for a single light.......not for a set of them.

What size of fuse would be needed for a circuit isolator "fused connection unit" for 2 (and for 3) such lights for this spur-feed setup?

Will the 6-amp fuse currently fitted at the mains box for the lighting ring circuit still be sufficient for this additional power draw, or will it need to be altered (and if so, to what)?

Thank you in advance....

Sponsored Links
3A fuse in the fused spur if fed from ring final. Not required if fed from a lighting circuit.

Maximum loading would be 3 x 50W, a total of 150W

Current = power / voltage

Current = 150 / 230

Current = 0.65A

GaryMo, Monkeh....

Thanks a lot.

Guys like you got us out of the dark ages....

Putting you on my Christmas card list for that....

Can't believe the speed of response!

Sponsored Links
Hi Taylor,

They're going into the bathroom. They're Zone 2 type.

None will be sited over the shower, bath, etc though.

Why do you want to install lights which aren't actually any good at lighting up a room?

Also, what's above the bathroom, and do you live in England or Wales?

Why do you want to install lights which aren't actually any good at lighting up a room?

I did exactly that (using CFL, not halogen) and find my bathroom and en-suite to be lit perfectly well......wait a minute......have we been here before? :confused:

The lights were a gift, and I fancied a change. So making use of them.

No other excuse than that....

What is/are CFL?

I,m in England.

There isn't a loft or anything else above the bathroom.

Was changing over from a flourescent light. But it was one of those 5 foot long jobbies that would have looked more at home in an office in the seventies.

Liked the light its 80W gave out though....

I'm not at all familiar with CFLs.

So......when you say "when a job's worth doing", what exactly are we talking here financially?

And I take it that they can be ceiling sunken in the same way as halogens?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back