Remove Plug from Halogen downlight kit & add to 5A ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am looking to install a halogen downlight kit into my kitchen and the directions state "A light fitting should be connected to a lighting circuit protected by a 5A fuse. If a light fitting is to be connected to a ring main, a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse should be installed. Only suitable for connection 220-240V ~ 50Hz supply.
Is it unsafe for me to remove the plug and connect the cables to the existing feeds after removing the old lights? I am fine with switching lights out and changing sockets etc... But, when it comes to amperage, I don't want to make a mistake that could be dangerous. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
"A light fitting should be connected to a lighting circuit protected by a 5A fuse.
Some lighting circuits still have those - most these days have 6A MCBs or RCBOs, but that will do just as well.

Is it unsafe for me to remove the plug and connect the cables to the existing feeds after removing the old lights?
What does the "plug" look like? Is it just a normal plug, not a wall wart?

I am fine with switching lights out and changing sockets etc... But, when it comes to amperage, I don't want to make a mistake that could be dangerous. Thanks in advance
You really should learn about things you want to fiddle with.
The purpose of fuses/MCBs etc is to protect cables from being damaged if a fault results in too much current being drawn. You could connect your lights direct to the tails coming out of your meter, and they would work just fine, but if anything were to go wrong you'd be hosed.

It is a standard plug. I get that I should learn more, but I didn't know that this pack had a plug until it was unpacked. I have very basic skills, hence the request for help. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause a fire or something

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back