Wiring downlights to a plug and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got myself 6 downlights that are dimmable and i've installed them underneath wall cabinets. I want to run them from a plug socket that is easily accessible. I have a few questions

1. I am going to be using flexi cable. should i use 1.5mm2 or 1mm2?
2. Should I fuse the plug with 5A fuse or lower?
3. Is it ok to wire them in parallel?
4. Is it possible to install a 1G dimmable switch in between the plug and the actual lights so that I do not need to access the plug switch everytime? if so how will I wire this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1. 0.75mm² will be adequate.
2. 3A
3. They will not work unless you do.
4. Any thing is possible. Where will the switch be?
"if so how will I wire this?". As per the instructions that come with the dimmer.
You will need one suitable for the lights and their rating (wattage).

Can you not fit a Fused Connection Unit in addition to or instead of the socket and do it properly?

Can you not fit a Fused Connection Unit in addition to or instead of the socket and do it properly?

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately its on a isolated wall so easiest option is to run it from a 2G socket with a plug which is getting hidden behind the base cabinet.

The dimmer switch I bought is rated at higher the wattage than all the lights combined. However the switch is a 2way 1 gang switch. It has Common, L1 and L2. I am not going to be using it as a 2 way so how do I wire it? Currently Live, Neutral and Earth and going from plug straight to the lights. How do I add the dimmer switch inline?

Sponsored Links
The dimmer switch I bought is rated at higher the wattage than all the lights combined.
They often have a minimum as well.

However the switch is a 2way 1 gang switch. It has Common, L1 and L2. I am not going to be using it as a 2 way so how do I wire it? Currently Live, Neutral and Earth and going from plug straight to the lights. How do I add the dimmer switch inline?
There will be instructions with it.
Live In to Com, Live Out to L1,
Nothing in L2.
Neutrals joined together.
Earths connected to switch if metal or just connected together if plastic.

John - you really ought to have a better understanding of the basics - thinks like what a switch actually does, the difference between series and parallel, and so on.

Doing electrical work on the basis of following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without really understanding why is not a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back