BAN THE USE OF RING MAINS OR NOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A ring main is all well and good protected by a 32 Amp MCB until someone breaks the ring meaning two legs of 2.5mm are protected by 32 Amp. As 2.5mm twin & earth ranges in current carrying capacity around 19 to 28 Amp depending on the type of installation. This is changing the theory as the fuse is the weakest link to the cable is the weakest link. Or connect me if i´m wrong

Sponsored Links
Hi i wasn´t after a debate on what i´d rather use

I was clearly making a very important point on the IEE wiring regulations.

Whist i was working in the UK i can remember many a time, ring circuit broken normally due to the owner or cowboys splitting the circuit to add that extra socket outlet. This can happen and does often that why we have the test " continuity of ring final circuit conductor "

I must have a point with this one ??????

You do have a point, and it has been brought up many times.

A ring becomes two radials when just oner terminal pops apart - common when DIY'ers decide to change fronts.

The likely hood of overloading the cable is fairly low though, which is why we don't really see damage caused by this issue. How many ring circuits really carry the fully 32amp for sustained periods?

I do agree though - I hate rings, and prefer radials, but I will still use them while they are compliant.

It's "Ring Final Circuit" or "Ring Circuit" NOT "Ring Main" ;) A Ring Main descibes an 11,000v ring of substations or an LV ring linking DB's via isolators etc.

Sponsored Links
Your point is valid but it would not have to carry more than 32Amp as the weakest link is now the cable.

A 32 Amp MCB protecting 2.5mm cable is totally against the idea of the electrical regulations so why not change it ????

I think there is a good case for not using ring final circuits. I've come accross plenty that have been broken and I suspect have been so since installation. But if they are correctly installed and maintained then they are sometimes the most efficient solution.

In a complete state i agree with you. But yet again if it´s broken which is very common, i think some other form should be introduced or even stricter regulation....It´s only an idea for something that´s clearly not correct.

A bit of an acedemic discussion seeing as you are in Spain and would not install a ring final circuit over there. Thought this was a UK DIY forum?

TTC

I think he lives in a villa with pool on the Spanish coast, but is thinking of retiring soon to a terraced house in Doncaster.

rings are one of those oddities of the british regs, if they had never existed and you tried to introduce them now the safety paranoid would never allow it but the thing is we have been using them for a number of decades without any real trouble.

one reason for this is that afaict the standard cable ratings are based on continuous loading. Cables will stand much more than that for many years if (as is normal on domestic installs) peak loads probablly exist for less than an hour per day.

Discussion is a discussion no matter where in the world i may be.

As i am clearly making out a problem with the IEE Regulations and as this is a UK forum and is not restricted to UK residents. I will continue to voice my opinions.

As for Spain a ring final circuit is in no way accepted for the reasons expressed earlier.

A good regulation is made from mistakes made in the past to prevent accidents occurring in the future.

I think he lives in a villa with pool on the Spanish coast, but is thinking of retiring soon to a terraced house in Doncaster.

If i could retire at 32 years old i would not. You would not catch me working back in the UK for any reason. Canarian coast community pool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back