Spontaneous radiator leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This radiator began to leak for no reason. It's a pin-hole where the seams join. There does not appear to be any corrosion beneath the paint. Is there any way to repair it in-situ, without welding?
My wife found the leak shortly after it started - how often does that happen!!

thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
If it's pin holed it's likely to be thin in other places too. It's a replacement job. While your at it check the water in the system, this may be an indicator of further problems to come.

Mike

a pin-hole in a seam is quite likely due to corrosion starting from the inside. Rusty stain? Black water in radiator? Rads need bleeding?

Sponsored Links
Are your skirting boards really pink?

And what I pray is wrong with PINK skirting. Looks nice in a feminine sort of way. God am bored today sick of eating and drinking crippled with indegestion as well and still another week at it. O for the days of low temps and cold winds, frozen pipes and money spinning callouts.

first things first - no they're not pink!! Some kind of filtered or reflected light i think!!

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping i could just stick some putty on the hole or something but it seems from the responses that i need a new rad. I dunno about the inhibitor etc. BG installed a new boiled 2 years ago and were supposed to have re-filled the system, inhibitor included.

And what I pray is wrong with PINK skirting. Looks nice in a feminine sort of way. God am bored today sick of eating and drinking crippled with indegestion as well and still another week at it. O for the days of low temps and cold winds, frozen pipes and money spinning callouts.

...I'll turn the rad off and call you in the summer Petetheleak !!!!

...I'll turn the rad off and call you in the summer Petetheleak !!!![/quote

Pity am a few hundred miles away would have come and done it for free just to get away from the family for a wee while , Ops got to go thats my turn on the Wii.

Spontaneous!

I think you mean your radiator has started to leak.

Normally they write a letter, two weeks in advance, to tell you when they are about to let go.

If you had the boiler fitted by BG two years ago then aren't you on Homecare?

...cheers Pete - i appriciate the sentiment anyway, but it can't be all bad if you have a wii !!

Simond - Yeah, 'spontaneous' was somewhat superfluous. I guess I was just a bit bemused at the location of the leak. I had to renew my homecare a couple on months ago, - I did not think it covered me for this type of thing....but I'll give them a ring now.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back