Sporadic damp patches/greasy looking marks and wood burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a hunch about my problem and i am just wondering if anyone would be able to confirm this or give me another diagnosis. So , we had a wood burner fitted last november and had no problems. Since then we have stripped the bedroom walls above and had it re skimmed. We let it dry for 3 weeks and sealed with watered down emulsion the painted with matt. After about a month ( when the outside weather started to cool) we have started to get these clusters of damp/greasy looking patches on the bedroom chimney breast. I have done alot of searching and think i know what the problem is but want other opinions. What i think is that it is being caused by hygroscopic salts. The reason i say this is because the chimney has been back filled with the vermiculite the moisture they attract isnt coming from inside the chimney but being drawn through from the inside of the house and showing on the plastered surface? Would this be correct as the other chimney breasts are unaffected (these are vented and not insulated) flashings etc are sound. Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back