spotlight wiring, stuck please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I believe I have a faulty transformer so have purchased a new one but the wiring is different. I know I need a junction box to feed the live wires but it's the wires to the actual light that is confusing me. Also, how do take the burnt wires out of the attached spotlight holder?

Sponsored Links
For your new transformer the blue = neutral and the brown = switch live are your mains incomers.
The two other clear wires go to your lighting unit.
It is a difficult to see your existing lighting unit but it looks as if it may be beyond repair and you may need to buy either a replacement light or one of these or something similar
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGLVLHC.html

You will then need a terminal connector block and a chocbox type arrangement to connect the transformer clear wires to the new fitting wires.

Please bare with me, so, I attach my mains wires via plastic junction box thingy to the blue and Brown, remembering to connect live to live etc, then I buy a new lamp holder for my spotlight and attach that, again via a plastic junction box to the two other wires????

Sponsored Links
Pretty much. It looks like your existing lampholder is mounted to a spring clip which forms part of the luminaire. You will undoubtedly need to reuse this. As the two are likely rivited together right now, you will need to drill out the rivets and re-join the new lampholder to the spring clip using new rivets or suitable nuts & bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back