Spotlights are flashing red - what does this mean....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had house rewired last year. Also had spotlights put into living room (ones without transformers). Over the year they have started to go and have been replacing with energy saving ones (more expensive and not the same colour but better in the long run). all have been fine except for one that has now started to flash from its normal colour to red and then back again. It's natural colour is an ice-blue. Can anyone shed light on this please?

I'm going to get my electrician round later this week but is there any immediate risk or something else I can try. Does this mean the bulb is defective? Or something worse?

Sponsored Links
Had house rewired last year. Also had spotlights put into living room (ones without transformers). Over the year they have started to go and have been replacing with energy saving ones (more expensive and not the same colour but better in the long run).
What would have been better in the long run would have been to light the room with lights actually designed to light rooms rather than ones specifically designed to not light rooms.

Then you wouldn't have needed anywhere near the same number of them, you could have gone for better quality, better lamps, and not be continually replacing them.

Thanks for the replies. I'll change it.

I don't understand the comment about using lamps etc... I've only got 6 spots in that room. What are spotlights actually for then if they are not designed to light rooms? What have we done wrong adn why didn't the electrician advise an alternative if they not designed for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Dont worry about BAS he just has a dislike for spotlights in general. At the end of the day its your home and your money and completely up to you how you light it. Sounds liek you have just been unlucky with this one lamp and its failed prematurely, just replace it and you should be fine.

Dont worry about BAS he just has a dislike for spotlights in general.
No - not in general.

I have no dislike for them when they are used to highlight, or spotlight small areas/individual items etc.

As they were originally designed to do.

What I dislike is their inappropriate use, e.g. for providing general room illumination, which is not what they were meant to do (in fact, they were designed to actually not provide widespread light to the surrounding area). I dislike their inappropriate use in the same way I dislike using a knife to work a screw, or using a pair of pliers to work a nut, or using teeth to strip wire.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back