Spotlights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen spotlights are split by one switch box with 4 buttons. I have six spotlights on one of the buttons that are not working, ( although if leave one lamp in it works although not full strength). I have tested the lamps they are all good. All other spotlights are working it’s only this button. So only this circuit of lights not working.

The switch appears to be connected properly ie no loose wires. It appears to be one unit anyway so would assume if loose wire it would affect all the spots..that’s an uneducated guess BTW!

Before I get a Sparky out what can I check next.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Take out the bulbs and see what voltage they are

Photograph them for us

Switches/buttons too please

You can swap over one working switch wiring with the faulty one and see what happens - if the one bank that was faulty suddenly works using a different switch then it points to the switch being faulty. If the same then need more fault finding

Thanks for replies
Being a bit simple here how do I swap over the switches
Photos attached of the switch, the lamps are 220-240v forgot to say this is not after any change it has just happened lamps been in situ since last July all working fine.

Attachments

• A5BE5437-9900-483C-BB93-14028E6066E8.jpeg
    A5BE5437-9900-483C-BB93-14028E6066E8.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 4F49F654-F3EF-45CC-838C-FC4A7218B037.jpeg
    4F49F654-F3EF-45CC-838C-FC4A7218B037.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
I would suspect the dimmer switch has failed. Which one of the switches operates the set of lights in question ?

2nd left switch operates, if you have one lamp in its dim put a second it it lights but appears dim….bit like me and electrics!…put another in and flashes then nothing works
Thanks

As suggested earlier by another member ,swap the wiring at the switch.
Take the wire from L1 terminal of second left switch ( that supplies your lights that don't work) and put it into L1 of the far left switch( that currently has a grey wire in ,remove it and put that into to L1 of the second switch). So effectively swapping them over.
Do this with power off.
Tell us the results

also (easiest bit) check all the terminal screws are tight and the metal wires well gripped.

Likely switches have failed. So next step is decide what to do. So I will try to give options so you can think about it.
1) Renew dimmer switch.
a) For tungsten version
b) For LED version
2) Swap dimmer for standard switch and fit smart lamps, assuming you want dimming.

The problem is LED lamps take less power to tungsten and so many dimming switches will not work with the reduced power, even when they do work, often a problem with flashing when switched off, or a shimmer when switched on, specially when not using a neutral.

So often better using smart lamps and a simple on/off switch. The GU10 lamps I have, some work OK with smart switches, others don't, so I have swapped them around to get them to work.

But if you have 20 lamps then swapping to smart can work out expensive, so it depends what you have.

Undid the dodgy terminal thought would reconnect before swapping terminals over and it has fixed the problem so assume was dodgy connection although they all felt tight earlier.

Genuine Thanks to you all for helping, without your wise words I would have still benn looking at the ceiling what to try next.

have a great day Gents!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back