Spray gun for blockwork walls and fences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got about 100x8ft interior blockwork wall of a workshop I want to paint to make the place look tidier and reflect the light better. Im thinking at semi-gloss emulsion which is what we used for the same task in my parents garage but you couldnt get a good finish with a longhair roller, it was very slow indeed to work it into the concrete blocks with a 6inch brush for be before embarking on 800sqft I thought I would ask about spraying it.

I also have a load of panelled fences to replace and or paint and wouldnt mind being able to spray them also

Looking at a few cheap/secondhand sprayers ebay, as well as the seriously cheap 'fence sprayers' found in BnQ.

Thoughts? Neather job has to be super awesomely smart, but fairly good, masking is not too much of an issue as there big areas, and a lot of the fence panels could be sprayed before they are in the posts.

I have a smallish belt drive compressor (circa 4hp) and in the workshop there is assess to a very much bigger 3ph one but I couldnt use that for the fences.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200877776857
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hvlp-spray-gun-/221176736404

Daniel

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You will need an airless sprayer for the emulsion (and many other waterbased pints). Compressors or turbine based systems will struggle in most cases (especially the earlex one in your link)

You can get very cheap airless sprayers that are made by the likes of Wagner and Earlex, and aimed at the diy market. TBH I have no experience of using them and (perhaps unfairly) discount them as being little more than toys.

The cheap units might be fine for the fence panels but I doubt that they will be any good for the emulsion. You would need to thin the emulsion so much that it might well fail.

Unfortunately a decent airless sprayer will be in the magnitude of hundreds of pounds, even second hand. You could hire one though. Graco and Wagner or two of the market leaders.

I have tried to spray waterbased emulsion with HVLP, I paid £50 for a larger needle, added both Floetrol and water and quickly realised that I had wasted both my money and time.

EDIT------ BTW if the concrete blooks have loads of little holes, HVLP will not fill them, the atomised paint will bounce out of them

Sounds good solid straight talking advice to me.

I have no idea how something like this would handle emulsion, and while if I had one I would be temped to give it a go, they are not free themselves, and review are mixed at best, all being most down to people trying to spray outside on a windy day!
http://www.tooled-up.com/product/ro...rayer-mk3-includes-4-x-1.5v-batteries/178717/

These are presumably the cheap DIY spec stuff you talk off. As you say, they do look very unlikely indeed, however at £20/25 is almost worth a punt because it really would wreck your hands brushing 800sqft of blockwork and you couldnt pay anyone to do half of it for that.
Wager
Draper
Clarke

I presume this is the gun only, and requires the paint delivery system. And temping though it is I dont think lashing up a used calor cylinder full of paint to a air compressor is a good plan!

Hire is ruddy nearly as much as buying a second hand one at £150 odd a day, so thats that out.
http://www.hss.com/g/61421/Portable-Airless-Spray.html
http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en/decorating-tool-hire/144-airless-sprayer.html

Daniel

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi, I signed up to this forum just to reply to this thread.

I was in a similar predicament when painting my garage walls, and a fuzzy roller or maisonary brush just wasn't doing it for me. In the end I used a garden fence sprayer and thinned the water based silk emulsion 2 parts paint to 1 part water.

It works a treat! Spray it on heavy and finish it over with a roller. The spray fills all the porous gaps in the bricks instantly and the roller finishes off with a smooth finish.

A garden weed sprayer would also work as the fence sprayer is exactly the same, even the nozzle is the same!

Sponsored Links
I recently purchased a Bosch sprayer for £120 and it's bloody marvellous. Covered my fence (30ft long) in 2 hours and have now moved on to emulsion. It's the masking that takes the time not the machine

Thanks both for your replies, particularly as this is still an outstanding to-do-list item. Can either of the detail the exact make/model used?

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back