Can I apply Cuprinol Fence and Shed Protector with a Cuprinol Spray Gun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed the second part (8 panels) of our fence and want to paint it "Golden Brown". I sprayed the last lot but cannot find this colour in their current range of sprayable paints.

Can I apply Cuprinol Fence and Shed Protector with a Cuprinol Spray Gun? The blurb says apply 2-3 coats with a brush. I have rang their advice line and they say "it is brush only as it is solvent based". Does this me more to you than it does to me?

Sponsored Links
So you've spoken with the manufacturer and they said you can't spray it so you thought you'd ask here in the hope of getting the answer you wanted!

Can I apply Cuprinol Fence and Shed Protector with a Cuprinol Spray Gun? The blurb says apply 2-3 coats with a brush. I have rang their advice line and they say "it is brush only as it is solvent based". Does this mean more to you than it does to me?
If you spray a solvent based thin liquid you'll inhale it - and that's not good . The sprayable ones are water based and different safer chemicals.

Cheers Nige F for the constructive/educated feedback.

It's a shame that other people find the need to reply when they have nothing valuable to offer.

Sponsored Links
You can safely spray solvent based anything if you use a charcoal filter with particulate pre-filter. However that only protects your lungs, you also have to think about where the overspray is going to go and how you will protect other people and animals close by. This might involve some kind of sheeting tightly affixed to the fence to capture the overspray. And by the time you've done that it might have been easier to brush it on. Spraying also wastes quite a lot, not just the overspray but also cleaning up residue. You should also get the consistency right before spraying and strain it into your paint pot so blobs dont block the pick-up tube.

Nozzle

Cheers Nige F for the constructive/educated feedback.

It's a shame that other people find the need to reply when they have nothing valuable to offer.

Quite right sorry about that!

1) Solvent based product don't lend themselves to spraying because the solvent can evaporate as part of the spaying process and therefore don't bind well to the substrate.
2) Some of the components of the sprayer may be affected by the solvent

As above it will knacker your sprayer because cleaning it out requires chemicals that will badly affect seals etc.

The above is true, I forgot you were planning to use a plastic spray gun. It'll spray but after time the seals will likely perish. It might last long enough to get the job done. I use a Machine Mart spray gun and a compressor (and water based Bedec - which is bloody brilliant stuff)

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back